Boys' Life - Akro Agates

Steph

Check this out at Google Books. 1920's and 1930's Akro promos in Boys' Life magazine. I'd seen a few of them before but nowhere near this many.

I have a lot of reading to do! Lots of notes to take! Tri-colors were touted as a new line in January 1931, for instance. (Earlier than I once thought.)

I'm in heaven. Hope everyone else has as good a day/weekend as I'm going to. :)

About 30 issues

:cool-smileys-262:

A coupla notes:

Mr. Akro Talks About Marbles - booklet advertised in Feb. '29. Not sure I've seen that booklet, at least not with that cover.

The Prize Name contest winners WERE announced. Supposed to have been published in June 1930 - that's what contest announcements had said. I have the June 1930 Boys' Life. Not there. The August issue explains why and gives the winners. The winning name was Fire Opal.

Thanks for posting these. In the third issue/ad - they use the term "ring men" to describe the largest marbles Akro made. That is the first time have encountered this term traceable back to the Akro company's official use. That is an interesting fact for future reference. I assume they are referring to 7/8 - 1" diameter.

Over time - names have been invented by people in the hobby to describe specific marble styles. I think that such inventions slowly take us further away from the history of these companies, their marbles and the naming conventions that were used in the day they were produced.

In any case - I'm going to look through the other ads to see what might be learned.

Thanks again,

Alan

Thanks for posting these. In the third issue/ad - they use the term "ring men" to describe the largest marbles Akro made. That is the first time have encountered this term traceable back to the Akro company's official use. That is an interesting fact for future reference. I assume they are referring to 7/8 - 1" diameter.

Over time - names have been invented by people in the hobby to describe specific marble styles. I think that such inventions slowly take us further away from the history of these companies, their marbles and the naming conventions that were used in the day they were produced.

In any case - I'm going to look through the other ads to see what might be learned.

Thanks again,

Alan

Loved this - I searched marbles. The article about training a rat to roll a marble down a hole for food was interesting. The rat got his marbles by pulling a string. They covered the hole so he couldn't put a mrble down it but he kept collecting and hoarding marbles. (sounds like us!) When they uncovered the hole he poured them down one after another for rewards. One smart mouse!

Also add by a company TORR) who sold marbles by cases for gum ball machines was interesting!

Don