A Link To How To Grade Marbles In Numeric Form Please?

I see so many auctions for marbles and have 9.8, 9.2, etc to describe the condition. Is there a link/s that explains the grading in a lot of detail? I have searched but can't find what I am looking for. Thank you.

There is a grading system here:

http://marblealan.com/FAQ.htm

It's one which has M- at 9.0, NM+ at 8.9. . . It talks in some detail about how much damage is allowed at which level.

Not everyone follows that system. I've seen more than one person use numbers in middle to high 9 range for NM. They've actually said NM, and 9.5 or something like that. Making me wonder if it was a typo. But then I read all their auctions, and it has become clear that's how their system is. Gotta make mental adjustments, and look closely at the pix. :-)

Always make sure all damage on a marble is described if you do not have it in hand. The number system varies greatly depending on who is using it. And a good thing to remember if you ever intend to sell your marbles is that many(if not most) long time collectors will not consider a marble with any not as made defects or damage(even a pinprick) mint. IMO ebay and some of the major sellers have lowered grading over the years as to what is mint or not. Many folks are shocked when they attempt to sell a marble they bought as mint and it gets returned because of slight damage.

Here's another simple numerical grading system by the Marble Collectors Society of America (MCSA). Stan Block still runs the organization.

Marble Grading (MCSA)

The descriptions of each grading label used by the MCSA, along with the equivalent numerical grading is:

Mint: A marble that is in original condition. The surface is unmarked and undamaged. There may be some minor rubbing on the surface; however, the marble is just the way it came from the factory.

(10.0-9.0)

Near Mint: A marble that has seen minor usage. There may be evidence of some hit marks, usually tiny subsurface moons, pinprick chips, tiny flakes or tiny bruises. The damage is inconsequential and does not detract from viewing the marble. If there is noticeable damage, then it is on only one side of the marble and the other side is Mint.

(8.9-8.0)

Good: A marble that has seen usage. It will have numerous hit marks, subsurface moons, chips, flakes or bruises. The core can still be seen clearly, but the marble has obviously been used. If the damage is large or deep, then it is confined to one side and the other side is Mint to Near Mint.

(7.9-7.0)

Collectible: A marble that has seen significant usage. Overall moons, chips, flakes and bruises. The core is completely obscured in some spots. A Collectible marble has served its purpose and been well used. Still, it is a placeholder in a collection until a better example comes along.

(6.9-0.0)

Any damage to the surface of a marble, no matter how slight, will affect its value. For a given amount of damage, the depreciation of value is much greater for machine-made marbles than for handmade marbles. Even a small chip will effectively reduce the value of a machine-made marble by more than half.

Thank you all for the replies. I am now more informed and thanks to the couple of informative PM's as well. If I was selling a marble/s I would rather go a hair on the lower grading side with descriptive info and if better than expected, the person is happier. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help we have gotten in the last couple years since we started collecting.