Slags With Seams Or Cut-Lines

Ric

Rich, I may have used the term erroneously so I've removed it. As far as I know, "diaper fold" was originally used to describe the single-seam and ribbon configuration on certain entirely machine-made CAC slags. The striping on the marbles loops around from one side of the seam and back to the other side. Here is a diagram, which I believe shows the archetypal pattern and is attributed to Alan.

2649061500104684377S425x425Q85.jpg

I have made marbles with those "lines" by using 2 different techniques. One was when I uses my glass scissors and made a cut right into the hot glass and the other is called a single fold technique.

We call those "lines" folds = cut lines.

I truly appreciate your help and I am learning so much!!!!!

Thanks!

Galen, I do have some nice ones laying around but I don't pay enough attention to them. And I was seriously thinking hand-gathered on that blue one but is that possible for Pelt other than the Cerises?

2416781200104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

I question whether the blue is handgathered but Pelt made Millions of handgathered slags in many colors. I have never seen the feathery pattern in any of their handgathered slags. And I have seen many boxes of mixed colors. Red(Cerise) is the only color slag they sold in one color boxes. All the other slags they made were sold in color assortments.

Thanks, Galen. If you can enlarge the last pics I posted of it, you might get a better feel for the construction. Those feathery white wisps sure look to be "coiled" like a hand-gather pattern, could just be luck though, I guess. I was actually thinking it might be a HG CAC. Any probability of that?

Here's a couple with two seams . . .

2447066610104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

2645982590104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

And then there are these . . . The smallest is a shade over 1/2" and the largest is 19/32". Some are out-of-round. They are hand-gathered but I don't know if they are entirely hand-made or transitionals, and whether they are showing pontils or cut-offs. If anyone has any information on these I would appreciate hearing it. And if anyone else has examples of slags with prominent seams or cutoffs, please show them. Thanks

2414539080104684377S600x600Q85.jpg

those are all the type called Japanese Transitionals. They can be found up to a little over an inch. As for the feathery one being hand gathered I would definitely need it in hand to even make a guess. Most anything is possible with marbles but I just do not think the feathery pattern was something done when handgathering. Getting the glass to stay layered in those extremely fine layers after a gather or two would have been extemely difficult IMO(if even possible)

Thanks again, Galen. I kinda figured those might be Japanese Transitionals, although I had no idea they could get to 1". Your remarks on the feathery one make good sense to me too. I'll do my best to get that one in your hands in Canton - it'd be nice to finally meet you.