Fabulustre Cloths

jstone

I was looking at the "Land of Marbles" website and came across these polishing cloths I was thinking of getting. I'm looking for something that can give my marbles a nice shine, but I don't want to ruin any seams or pointil marks that may be useful to identify the marble. Has anyone used these? Should I use them or would that be a terrible idea? Are there any pros or cons? I copied a description of the cloths (as seen on "Land of Marbles" website) below:

"The Fabulustre clotháis the simplest method of polishing a marble that has a mild haze. It is two sheets of fine flannel sewn together - one sheet is impregnated with red jeweler's rouge and the other is untreated. Use the red sheet to polish, and the yellow sheet to buff. Each cloth is printed "Good until worn to shreds!" The cloth's pouch measures 7x5" but the cloth unfolds to a 10" square.

Red jeweler's rouge is a very fine abrasive and may take some time to bring glass up to a wet-looking finish, but you aren't going to scratch the glass or dull it as you would with polishing pads. It definitely won't repair a scratched or dinged-up marble (at least not quickly...), but it's safe for bringing back the wet look from a hazy area, or buffing mint marbles to bring out that wet shine.

(These cloths are widely used in the jewelry trade - the cloth will also polish and clean (removing any tarnish) from gold, silver (and silverware), nickel and jewelry. For a quick testing of it's power, try polishing your pocket change - it's like magic!)"

Any comments would be appreciated! -Jessica

Jessica,

The cloths work great! And when used the results

are awsome. It's like finding a diamond in the

rough & the cloth brings it to life.

I have used one of these cloths for years.

And have never looked back.

They don't remove any of the glass

& won't damage seams, or pontils.

If they do you are using it too

much! LOL

Really It would take years to remove a seam or a pontil,

using this cloth,

When you first start rubbing the

cloth to marble.

It will feel like it's sticking

After a few revolutions of this

polishing process, the feeling of cloth to marble will be smooth.

So smooth in fact that the marble will want to jump out of the cloth!

To coin a frase. (Smooth as glass)

That's when you quit>>>

That's when the WOW! factor hits.

I would advise that you get one.

If you don't like it.

I'll take it off your hands.

Mine is getting a little frazzeled.

After you do your first transformation.

You'll have tired fingers from

trying to do your whole collcetion

in the same day.

IMHO

Hope this helps.

marblemiser

OOP'S!!!

Guess I'm wrong again.

My method of using this cloth

takes away the film, made from

finger prints and Pepsi.

So I'll have to go back to

using a cloth diaper.

Shucks.

Sorry about the bad advice>

I'll just sit back & let the real experts

give the advice.

After all what do I know???

Sorry again>

marblemiser

I wouldn't use a cloth like that because it is polishing, but I did go look them up on eBay and you can buy that sort of thing from $1 to $5.

I also know that you can buy various colors of jewelers rouges at Sears in stick form. They are commonly used for polishing antique brass door knobs etc.

Thanks for the advice - I'm still considering the purchase but MIGHT try using something else I already have - then if I don't like the results I could try the cloth.

I think what I want to do with my marbles is a simple "cleaning", or hand buffing/polishing. I believe most of my marbles are "common", and if I do have any that would be valuable their condition is certainly poor. Nothing I would think I could repair. That's beyond what I'm trying to do. So, I just want to clean up my collection without ruining any important features. This would be only for my personal enjoyment, not to make them better to sell or more valuable. The polishing cloths sound like they are exactly what I'm looking for.

I was reading through some older threads pertaining to polishing, and one question I have is about the danger associated with the polishing and cleaning of the marbles. Should I wear a special mask/filter if I'm going to do something like clean them with "Bar Keeper's Friend"? (That's what I'm thinking about trying before the cloth). What if I do use the cloths? If doing either of those things would send microscopic bits of glass all over the place, I'll pass on the whole thing. It was my impression that machine polishing would be what you need to be careful with - it didn't occur to me that I would need a mask for hand polishing.

To sum this up:

1- If I use Bar Keepers Friend on my marbles would it leave a haze on the marbles AND would I need to wear a special mask/filter?

2- If I go with the jeweler's rouge cloth should I wear a mask/filter?

Thank you all, I may just end up using a cloth diaper like Marblemiser! :blush:

Maybe hand polish outside,as a just in case.Its minimal,exposure.If you do it inside,in the sun,you will see the particles floating around.Can never be too careful,ya know.

Soap and warm water for cleaning.A little automotive,cleaner wax for shine.If its got any pits,get the tooth pick out.

I only wash my marbles,that I sell.Never polished,or waxed.If someone is selling one that is "extra slippy",I put it back down.

Nice for home use,and enjoyment though.

Griff

Maybe hand polish outside,as a just in case.Its minimal,exposure.If you do it inside,in the sun,you will see the particles floating around.Can never be too careful,ya know.

Soap and warm water for cleaning.A little automotive,cleaner wax for shine.If its got any pits,get the tooth pick out.

I only wash my marbles,that I sell.Never polished,or waxed.If someone is selling one that is "extra slippy",I put it back down.

Nice for home use,and enjoyment though.

Griff

well when I just started I was luckey to find a red 300 box all the bigger marbles were there all the 3/4 were same run popeye's and yes I did wax them all. I thought I was in heaven till I had it at a show and well it was talked about a while as it left all sort of white spots . when look at . took home and washed in Ivory flakes to get the wax out . that was before ebay and these boards in fact I think the only board was Bob Blocks and that was with email . The cloths I have seen almost do nothing . I think toilet bowl cleaner would be better . Mike

But I have waxed a few in my time with a water based polymer .