Vitros?

Jill Marie

1. The first one is I think just a strange color combo.

2. The white is at the center? I haven't found any of my other like it, usually the white is at an end.

3. I just don't know, green on the left, blue on right, weird center...I think it is kinda yellow in the center.

4. This one is the opposite of the Whitie, it is a clear dark center, I took the third pic so you could see a dark amber.

5. And this one is I think a Whitie, but it has one of the stripes yellow, the other half blue, I thought it only had one color around.

I am asking because I couldn't find their identity, but I thought maybe you all knew what they were.

Thanks for looking!

post-1844-130231675794_thumb.jpg

post-1844-130231677085_thumb.jpg

post-1844-130231678257_thumb.jpg

vitrotrilites.jpg

These Vitro Trilites have ribbons in two colors. There is also a translucent part of the marble where you can see thready white glass with clear areas. I suspect your # 5 is a tiger eye with two white eyes and 2 colored ribbons at the equator. If you don't see the thready white and clear glass, that's what it is. And I take back the thing I said about whitie. It would be a tiger eye, not a two colored ribbon whitie.

vitrotrilites.jpg

These Vitro Trilites have ribbons in two colors. There is also a translucent part of the marble where you can see thready white glass with clear areas. I suspect your # 5 is a tiger eye with two white eyes and 2 colored ribbons at the equator. If you don't see the thready white and clear glass, that's what it is. And I take back the thing I said about whitie. It would be a tiger eye, not a two colored ribbon whitie.

It is actually clear on the inside like the whitie... I think it is a whitie with like you said....I have one like the brown and green one you have, and I have several that are quite unusual; I will post them tomorrow so you can see and tell me what you think, I have been curious about them for awhile.

Thanks you all for looking

Aren't Whities opaque?

There's a mib which some call a "Transparent Whitie" with a single color band around the middle which has been found with Tiger Eyes in some of those giveaway premium bags, if I recall correctly. But the ones normally called Whities are opaque ...

(right?)

VITROWHITIESCATEYESAD-10-57TOYSN-1.jpg

These are a few of my other oddities, Still strange as if they are backwards (color at opposite ends, and white in the middle)

I put the dark one in again. Maybe you might know them. as you can see I have a few others with the same white band around. I only thought they were Vitro 'cause the seem looked the same. I pictured them all with the seem facing you so you can see too. What do you think. the 3rd one on top is also clear inside with the color just on the outside.

The only ones that are not clear are 1 & 2 on the top row, they are more like the tri-lite's with a thready color. They are not opaque though, the light moves through the threads.

post-1844-130279458532_thumb.jpg

Just showing close-up of seems.

post-1844-13027951511_thumb.jpg

These are a few of my other oddities, I put the dark one in again. Maybe you might know them. as you can see I have a few others with the same white band around. I only thought they were Vitro 'cause the seem looked the same. I pictured them all with the seem facing you so you can see too. What do you think. the 3rd one on top is also clear inside with the color just on the outside.

The only ones that are not clear are 1 & 2 on the top row, they are more like the tri-lite's with a thready color. They are not opaque though, the light moves through the threads.

OK - my turn. The opaque Whities are the "original" Whities. Those are the ones found in Vitro packaging and they are opaque with maybe a rare exception. I have attached a pic of a Whities bag. I have not seen trnsparent Whities in packaging except as noted by Chuck below. I have attached a pic of those also.

There are some transparent "Whities" that are technically Tiger Eye variants. Chuck (Vitro expert, if there is such a thing) said it best in an email back in 2008. Here's what he said:

Subject: TRANSPARENT WHITIE

Randy is absolutely correct when he says that these marbles were made at the same time, using the same production methods and the exact same colors as Tiger Eyes (type 1). Therefore, it is reasonable to call them a Tiger Eye Variation. However, some of us still prefer to call them Transparent Whities because that is what they look like. These marbles are a distinct variation on the Tiger Eye probably made for a specific purpose.

I believe that I know why they were made (Randy agrees with me). We have noticed that these marbles are almost never found in original Vitro packaging; but, they are common enough that they must have received a large distribution. Diane & I have over 50 cereal premiums in small packages in cellophane or poly with from 2 to 16 marbles each that are Vitro, Marble King, Peltier or Alley (& maybe Champion). When they include Vitro marbles, about 75% of the time, the marbles are Transparent Whities (Tiger Eye Variants). These cereal premiums were made in huge quantities in the 1950-60's. Randy & I surmise that Vitro made these marbles because they were slightly cheaper to produce giving Vitro a slight advantage in that hugely competitive market.

-------------------------

Back to Al: Remember, with Whities, we are mainly talking about a white marble, either opaque or veneered, with a colored ribbon (pair of ribbons) that go around the middle. There are a lot of marbles out there that can look similar (even some odd MK's) and other patches. I think Edna even had named some "anti-Whities" in the past.

post-60-130280017762_thumb.jpg

post-60-130280018688_thumb.jpg

post-60-130280020252_thumb.jpg

I pray I am not bothering you all too much, I am just excited about these marbles, I didn't realize what I had. We are getting ready to move and I wanted to organize my collection better before I pack them.

These ones I also think are Vitro, but I am not sure.

The seams seem the sameblink.gif .....they are like a mix of helmet, whitie, or tri-lite...I don't know, they have 1. the white band that goes all the way around, 2. the clear colored glass on bottom, and 3. the tigereye on top. Well, I'm not sure which is top or bottom...

post-1844-130281036986_thumb.jpg

post-1844-130281039617_thumb.jpg

post-1844-130281041016_thumb.jpg

The Randy that Al is talking about is Randy Gossett. he doesn't come to the boards anymore. I can't take credit for the anti blackie name. I have forgotten where I learned that and who we should give credit to, but I wasn't the one who came up with that name. I don't want to take credit when I didn't think it up. LOL!

Jill Marie, does the mib in post #14 glow under blacklight?

I (I have to be honest, I had my hubby and son) was running around looking for my plug to our blacklight last night...( ph34r.gif us being ninja!....lol) Then I saw it! What does it mean Steph?

ATOMIC!!!!!!

post-1844-130287006022_thumb.jpg