Authentic (I.e. Playing) Marbles Are Still Being Hand Made.

pauldavis2Cflintmarbles.jpgThanks for posting this. I attended the Rolley Hole tournament last year. I recognized some of the people in the pics. Shawn Hughes, the park ranger; Hank DeGruy, a player; Paul Davis, a player and marble maker; and a few others. It was amazing to watch these guys play. I was there early and got to watch a game of Tennessee Square at the marble yard of Malcom Strong. Malcom has his own marble yard and the guys play marbles indoors in the winter. Malcom also makes his own flint marbles. I have some pictures I'lll share in this post. I have a couple of Timmy Walden marbles, a Malcom Strong marble, a Paul Moore marble (we lost him this year), and a Paul Davis marble. I hope to add some more to my marble collection. I am going back for Rolley Hole this year. The tournament is September 16 and 17th. I wrote about the experience in the Texas Marble Club Newsletter. I will be the guest of Jeff and Molly Reecer Kimmell, both US marble champions.

The pic is Paul Davis' box of hand made flint marbles.

strongandpauldavis.jpg

The large flint marble was made by Malcom Strong, the smaller one was made by Paul Moore and it is the kind they shoot with. It's about .81 inches. They play Tennessee Square with these marbles. They were given to me by the makers. The marbles were given to me at a game of Tennessee Square. I know they are both used for that game. I eyeballed the marble and said about 3/4 inches. Sorry, I measured now and I was off .06 of an inch. Thank you Mr. Sturtz for pointing out my error. I will give marble measurements precisely now. The larger marble is 1.2120 inches.

astone27sthrow.jpg

I bought this book and I met Rondell Biggerstaff who is on the cover at Standing Stone Park. I did not meet the author. I think you can buy this book at the U.S. Marble Champions website and the money benefits the kids by helping to pay for their trip to the National Marble Championship. Web site is: http://usmarbles.org/ Darren Shell donated books to them for a fundraiser for the kids. Click on Marble Books to find it. Cost is $10.00 plus shipping.

If you've never seen a marble tournament, this is the place to go. They have marble games for kids and marble games for adults. These folks are serious players. Some in their 70's have played their whole lives. I can hardly wait to watch it again. Edna

I was at Standing Stone in my own car and I drove myself to all the events I wanted to attend. That included Malcom Strongs home and the events at Standing Stone. I did not go to meet Paul Davis, Darren Shell, or see the Marble Dome but I may do that with the Kimmells this year.

pauldavis2Cflintmarbles.jpgThanks for posting this. I attended the Rolley Hole tournament last year. I recognized some of the people in the pics. Shawn Hughes, the park ranger; Hank DeGruy, a player; Paul Davis, a player and marble maker; and a few others. It was amazing to watch these guys play. I was there early and got to watch a game of Tennessee Square at the marble yard of Malcom Strong. Malcom has his own marble yard and the guys play marbles indoors in the winter. Malcom also makes his own flint marbles. I have some pictures I'lll share in this post. I have a couple of Timmy Walden marbles, a Malcom Strong marble, a Paul Moore marble (we lost him this year), and a Paul Davis marble. I hope to add some more to my marble collection. I am going back for Rolley Hole this year. The tournament is September 16 and 17th. I wrote about the experience in the Texas Marble Club Newsletter. I will be the guest of Jeff and Molly Reece Kimmell, both US marble champions.

I was happy to invite Edna to come to Rolley Hole and stay with us in our cabin. I also took to all the events that week that I had been invited to got to and play the games.

Jeff's partner carried him to the winner's circle last year, but he will be hard pressed to find another partner that good who can help him repeat.

In that film strip are many folks like Molly playing playing Rolley Hole with Paul Davis as her partner. There are couple of good pics of Hank Degruy and his son Mike shooting and standing together.Jack "Bud Garrett" Tinsley, Chris King (2009 winner, Buck Houchens (Paul Moore's son-in-law)and others.

The tournament is a small traditional tourney geared to local professional players. It probably won't get any larger because they would have to announce the draw earlier, and would need more days and marble yards so it will end early on Saturday evening rather than run late into the night.

Paul Moore had asked me to play Tennesse Square as his partner. He carried me into the second round. I wrote a memorial piece after he died that was the whole front page of the Glasow newspaper. He was a wonderful man who fought cancer to the end. he made me a few regular stone mibs 3/4", a few bigger ones for shooting Tennesse Square, and a set of object marbles for Tennessee square.

Paul Moore's marbles are made from the stones of a very famous stream.

A museum down there did a photo display of Paul's marble making. He gave it to me and it is a treasure.I was very complimented. This display will eventually be given to Notre Dame and go into there sports and games research area.

I spent an afternoon with Paul Davis and took lots of pics of his marble making techniques.It was fascinating.

Cathy Runyan has attended and volunteered at this tourney for years.She helps kids learn all kinds of marble things and plays marbles too. She was a great cheer leader all weekend.

I invited Joe Schlemmer to come and make marbles and boy did he. Gerald Witcher sold mibs. Jim Storsberg sold mibs and played in the Georgia square tourney. Gerald Witcher sold marbles.

Last,but not least I invited Everett Grist to come and sell marbles. He came and everyone enjoyed meeting him. He was surrounded all day. It was his last marble show.

the picture below is of a plaque I received for helping to promote Rolley Hole.

Don't miss this event.

strongandpauldavis.jpg

The large flint marble was made by Malcom Strong, the smaller one was made by Paul Moore and it is the kind they shoot with. It's about 3/4 inch. They play Tennessee Square with these marbles. They were given to me by the makers

Tennessee Square is generally shot with a shooter that is around 7/8" to an 1". the reason is that the object marbles are about an 1 & 1/2", very heavy hard to move when hit. The good shooters don't generally try to knock the center object ball out of play unless they are close to it. I hit it one time and it hardly moved one revolution.

Rolley Hole is usually shot with shooters around 3/4". Some use large and some smaller depending on preference. The shooter Paul Davis made for me is .747" and round to .001".

larrydenton2Crussellcollins.jpg

Larry Denton and Russell Collins playing in the Rolley Hole tournament.

That picture is of Larry and Russell playing my partner Mike Ledbetter and me in the first round. Both are fine gentlemen who have won a few times. They were gracious and easy on us so we lasted about 25 minutes!

The picture shows the scoreboard early in the match. It looked even worse later...http://pcinsurancecheque183-1.jpg

astone27sthrow.jpg

I bought this book and met the author at Standing Stone

That is Rondell Biggersstaff on the front cover. He is the first person I met at the Monroe County Super Dome. Chris King and I played my first game of Rolley Hole (ever) against Rondell and his partner. Chris was the 2009 champion and a real southern gentleman.

I did not see Darren at Rolley Hole because he had to work at his marina those days. I did, however, go to his marina one afternoon and he taught us how to play Cherokee. Beginers dumb luck and I beat him! He wanted a rematch, but I wouldn't play him again because I knew I'd never get that lucky again.

Darren writes very well and has published a few books about the area,fishing, this book, and novels. He also showed me how to build a "portable" Tennesse square yard.

He also has invented an indoor version of Tennesee Square which is played on pool tables...very fun. He wrote a neat little booklet about how to play this game.

If you buy and read this book,you will learn about Bud Garrett. Although unknown by most marble collectors, he was a very important marble maker. When he died, his marble makking stuff went to the State of Tennessee's museum and I was also told some things went to the Smithsonian.

You can order his books from him ([email protected]) or on eBay. I also have a few copies.

Sorry! Sometimes I wonder about your memory, but this wasn't one of those times.I had to call and find out Mike DeGruy's first name.

I am just trying to fill in the pieces so the story is more accurate. Please make any corrections on what I wrote so that it is correct.

pauldavis2Cflintmarbles.jpgThanks for posting this. I attended the Rolley Hole tournament last year. I recognized some of the people in the pics. Shawn Hughes, the park ranger; Hank DeGruy, a player; Paul Davis, a player and marble maker; and a few others. It was amazing to watch these guys play. I was there early and got to watch a game of Tennessee Square at the marble yard of Malcom Strong. Malcom has his own marble yard and the guys play marbles indoors in the winter. Malcom also makes his own flint marbles. I have some pictures I'lll share in this post. I have a couple of Timmy Walden marbles, a Malcom Strong marble, a Paul Moore marble (we lost him this year), and a Paul Davis marble. I hope to add some more to my marble collection. I am going back for Rolley Hole this year. The tournament is September 16 and 17th. I wrote about the experience in the Texas Marble Club Newsletter. I will be the guest of Jeff and Molly Reecer Kimmell, both US marble champions.

pauldavismarble.jpg

I also bought this Paul Davis marble made of Red Rainbow Agatized Wood from Carefree, Arizona. The marble measures .7510 inches. If you go to the site, other handmade stone marbles are available. The money spent is a contribution to aid the kids.

Cute "and no one is signing them" subtitle, Hansel.

They're playing marbles, not "artist's" marbles.

Just walk away.

Ann, Many of these handmade flint marbles are made as keepsakes. I own four. None have been played with and I would sooner shoot with a signed "artist's" marble than with one of these.

A lot of skill is involved in hand shaping a perfect sphere out of a piece of hard stone.

Probably one of the simplest yet most beautiful three dimensional shapes known, hand carved out of one of the hardest materials available.

If that's not art, please enlighten me, but it seems you may first have to restudy at a more credible art history institution than the one that has seemingly brainwashed you.

Actually, there has been talk of signing stone marbles so that the makers get credit. If memory serves,there are 7 or 8 people who make them for playing on the Tenn/Ken border.I am sure there are others in other parts of the country.

I didn't pay much attention at the time so I don't remember what they decided about signing.

If that's not art, please enlighten me, but it seems you may first have to restudy at a more credible art history institution than the one that has seemingly brainwashed you.

Since my first response was -- seemingly -- censored, let's see if THIS reply sticks.

You're taking things too far, Hansel.

Unfortunately, there are other people in the world -- yes, the same world you live in -- who know more than you do about some things, just as you know more about some things than others.

You'll be a happier person when you can accept that.

Great info and photos Edna. I just got a package from a friend in Knoxville. It has two marbles that look kind of like the "Atlanta Marbles" without the stars or crackle finish. He got them in Rugby, Tenn. They came with the usual "found while demolishing an old factory" story. He said he talked to some of the older men where he got them and they said "could be some of them Rolley Hole marbles. After seeing your photos I am sure that isn't even a possibility. I sure would like to make the tourney this September!