Marble Tournament Medal Dates

This is one of the most common early medals out there.

Few are dated, perhaps one in 3 or 4.

I have only been able to find this medal dated 1927, 1928 and 1929.

Anyone have any knowledge of other dates, or any other general information about this medal?

Thanks.

post-358-13099813021_thumb.jpg

These are genuine. The dating ends with the Great Depression, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Now, that's interesting. Did they stop dating because of the additional cost?

Are you also saying that undated examples of this medal are not from before 1927?

I think I have other types dated through the depression though. I'll have a look.....

I've never really given it a lot of thought. I suppose I should pull the medals I have out and lay them out in chronological order and see what kind of story they might tell.

I can't imagine it was cost during the Depression. I know there are bronze and silver examples of the shield type from the mid 1930s.

I'm not really an expert on the history of the Wildwood Tournament, maybe Debra can pipe in if she reads this board. But, the 1927-1929 octagonal ones are labeled United States Marble Shooting Championship Tournament, the mid 1930s plaque shield type are labeled National Marble Tournament and the late 1930s round shield type are also labeled National Marble Tournament. So, maybe there may be a difference between the US Marble Championship and the NMT.

I've sent out an SOS to Debra but looking around the web it sounds like they're the same event.

I've never really given it a lot of thought. I suppose I should pull the medals I have out and lay them out in chronological order and see what kind of story they might tell.

That's an interesting way to put it. Guess there could be a lot of reasons for a change. Company went out of business, or they felt like a new style, or they changed the tournament name formally, or ....?

But it would definitely be cool to see a chronological progression of medals and see that story ....

Is there an actual gap in the dates, as suggested by the above posts? From 1929 to the mid 1930s?

I know nothing about the tournaments, but it would make sense if there wern't any (major ones) in the aftermath of the crash.

The tournament which is now held at Wildwood, NJ started out in Atlantic City, NJ in 1923. It has been held every year since then except for 1944 and 1945.

It moved from Atlantic City to Ocean City, NY in 1929.

Then Wildwood in 1937.

Then inland to Cleveland, OH for 1943 and 1946.

Back to Wildwood in 1947.

Then Asbury Park, NJ in 1949.

Then Wildwood from 1960 to the present except for 1976, when it was in Jackson, NJ.

If my information is correct.

My marble tournament collection is not as complete as Hansel’s but there are some conclusions that I can make:

a) The dated shield medals were no longer made after the start of WW-II (1941’s exist.) The brass Barry Pink Marble King Champion shield was not dated but looks to be from the 50’s. Within his collection of medals Hansel has a group of the known reproductions - most are stamped “sterling.”

B) There seemed to be two national marble tournaments. A smaller one sponsored by the VFW with a final tournament at changing locations around the country. And, another larger tournament frequently sponsored by local newspapers with the championship usually played in New Jersey (Steph has the exact locations and dates.)

The Great Depression did not kill these tournaments or the interest in marble shooting. Looks to me like paved streets, gravel playgrounds and air conditioning had a negative impact on marble playing. Kids at that time did not need funding for a coach, uniform, glove, bat or a play schedule to knuckle down any time a group gathered.

Big Indian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...