Who Named The Corkscrew?

Steph

The employee named Isreal that used the spinner cup at Akro is the answer Steph (best to my research).

He was their glass man and did the formulas too.

Clinton Israel?

The guy who owned Master?

Yes Steph, it's Clinton Isreal.

Clinton Isreal started at Akro as the blueprint machine maker and he was also in charge of Akro's packaging department. He was VERY knowledgeable in working with glass and it's characteristics. He influenced the Akro patches while at Akro. Then in June 1st, 1930 he resigned with three others that worked at Akro and he and the others went to Master Marble in May 20, 1930. Then in August 1st, 1941 he formed the Master Glass Company.

I just obtained several 1" Akro shooters that look like Master Marble 1" shooters that were made when Isreal worked at Akro.

He owned the Master Glass Company and worked at Master Marbles as well as Akro.

It gets confusing to just say he owned Master since these two companies are so close in names...lol.

Reading a couple of books and comments made there in those books, knowing he was a brilliant artist with glass, his knowledge of geometry (helix curve) and looking at the marbles he made at Akro gives me the impression he was the one. I can't find EXACT documentation but I feel he was the one who coined the phrase "corkscrew." I hope someone can find EXACT documentation but for now, I think my guess is correct and when someone does I'll change my mind.

p.s., I said owned Master because that was easier than saying "Was a cofounder of Master Marble and eventually owned Master Glass outright". Are you under the impression that he was only an employee at Master Marble, not an owner? Not clear on what technicalities you were trying to convey there.

I wonder why you think I had the impression that Clinton was the only employee at Master Marble? I said he worked there and now you tell me he was an cofiunder of Master Marble? Can you show me documentation of that please? Is this clear for you now since you asked me about technicalities? Remember, we are trying to determine who is was that made the phrase "corkscrew" and let's focus on that and trying to find documentation. Right now, I am making my best guess as I have stated before.

I wonder why you think I had the impression that Clinton was the only employee at Master Marble? I said he worked there and now you tell me he was an cofiunder of Master Marble?

I didn't think you were saying he was the only employee. I thought you might be saying he was only AN employee. So I was doublechecking.

I'm also curious about some of the other things you said, such as the time frame you might be operating under for which patches were made when at Akro but I didn't ask because that would be getting quite tangential.

Can you show me documentation of that please?

From American Machine-Made Marbles: "The Master Marble Company was organized in the Grasselli district of Clarksburg, West Virginia, by three longtime employees of Akro Agate: Clinton F. Israel, Claude C. Grimmett, and John E. Moulton."

Is this clear for you now since you asked me about technicalities?

No, but that's okay.

Remember, we are trying to determine who is was that made the phrase "corkscrew" and let's focus on that and trying to find documentation. Right now, I am making my best guess as I have stated before.

You're right. But I just wanted to understand what all you were saying about Israel.

If you have more material about Israel than AMMM and would care to share I would appreciate that. If not then that's okay. Peace, etc.

AMMM = American Machine-Made Marbles. It seems that you may have gotten some of your information from that but you mentioned "books" plural so I wondered what else you may have been using. I've bought 3 marble-related books this past month so my budget is strapped but I'd probably find some way to buy another if it told more about Israel. ( :

Just using AMMM if I were to have guessed that it was some geometry-savvy Akro employee who came up with the nickname corkscrew, I might have guessed John Early. AMMM left me with the impression that Early was more involved in design and manufacture than Israel. I got the idea that Israel was more into the business side. Just my impression.

I kinda agree with you about Early now you mentioned it - thanks. I didn't have that book at my fingers at the time - I was looking at another person's collection of books about 2am in the morning while visiting on my vacation. Honestly, I can't remember the ones I was looking at at that time.

Do you think we are heading in the right direction of the one who first named those mibs?

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that it's a collector's name, albeit probably an early one. Don't think Akro called any of their mibs corkscrews. Or snakes. Have to check the 1st ed. of Castle/Peterson's machine-made mib book -- anyone remember the term being used before then?

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that it's a collector's name, albeit probably an early one. Don't think Akro called any of their mibs corkscrews. Or snakes. Have to check the 1st ed. of Castle/Peterson's machine-made mib book -- anyone remember the term being used before then?

Bob said he recalled that name from the early 1970's.

It was used by Randall and Webb in Greenberg's Guide in 1988. Sounds like they were most comfortable with the name "spiral" but also that they were aware of the name "corkscrew" being used somewhere else. They have a section called Spirals and they use that name throughout but they say "corkscrews" twice that I can see. First is in a caption under a photo from the J. Fred Early Collection which says "Selection of Akro Agate spirals (corkscrews) in a wide range of body color and striping." Second is in the value table where they say "SPIRALS OR CORKSCREWS". (edit: is that a value table? I think so but there is something odd about the entries. it's on p. 50 whatever it is)

The 1989 MCSA price guide calls them corkscrews. A mint 5/8" corkscrew would average about 40 cents. There aren't many entries for machine mades that year. (Cool to see evidence in print of what we latecomers always hear about when machine mades started coming into their own. :))

In Greenberg's I see a reference to a 1985 MCSA guide. Were corkscrews listed in that?