Who Named The Corkscrew?

Steph

I found a quote in "Collecting Antique Marbles: ID and Price Guide" Page 126

"The 1926 hiring of Henry Helmer, a glass chemist, provided a much wider and brighter array of colors (Castle ad Peterson, 1995). These changes at Akro paved the way for the first of the truly machine-made marbles like the spirals or "corkscrews" and for marbles of three or more colors."

That quote leads me to thing it could have been Henry Helmer?

earlier on this page, it lists Clinton Israel to be the co-worker responsible for improving the feeders along with John Early.

Hope that helps, but that's what I've found out so far.

Rich, I think the point is that the probability this question can be answered with hard evidence, or beyond a reasonable doubt with circumstantial evidence, is near nil. So it is highly probable that it will be a useless conversation with respect to finding an answer to the original question.

I totally agree Ric BUT the interactions I have seen here show incite, desire and are educational. I personally have learned a lot from the documentations that were given about some of the history. I agree - a useless conversation about the original question BUT not useless in learning about marbles.

You see, I have been studying marbles for 1 year and 7 months and the things cited here at MC have been of great help in my path of learning. This is my point basically and I hope to learn more as time passes.

I had a college class once where the instructor on the first night asked, "Any questions?" before he started teaching the curriculum. I sat there thinking, how do I know what question to ask if I never had the class before. The same applies here. Not knowing as much as the experts here, how do I know what question to ask?

The question of who named the corkscrew may never have an answer BUT the posts attempting to answer that question are assisting in my education of marbles.

It is for the above reasons I enjoyed the posts as well as my laughter at the sarcasm!

Eneeway and fwiw, the 1994 2nd edition of Greenberg's magically appeared in my mailbox today and in that Randall and Webb sort of elaborate on their ambiguous mention of corkscrews from the 1988 edition. In the 1st edition the way they said it made it unclear when the name originated. It could have been a regional thing that they were just getting used to and could have been in longtime use but not the name they preferred or maybe they even heard it from J. Fred Early since they used it in the caption for his collection. But then in the 2nd edition they called corkscrews "the most recent name for spirals". They said that an old name for Spirals was Ace. "Ace" is a cool name. It was visible on boxes. I could see the kids picking up on it. But I'd want more corroboration for that too.

p.s., I love getting new old books and seeing new old names. Did you know that in 1912 Latticinios were called "Fluffy Allies"?