Ebay Plug 1-1/4" Corkscrew

David ~~ it almost looks like a double ingot that someone intentionally tried to massage into a marble at the original time of manufacture. Or are the pics just misleading and it really is a massive single?

John

I believe a single.

but have to wonder how they manipulated the few big ones that exist period.

not rollers? or was it. I had another cork that size (tick smaller) mint - smooth, kinda plain black(purple) on white. slick as a onion.

had an 1-1/4" "patch" kinda crease'e also, though not to the extent of this one.

david

David ~~ it almost looks like a double ingot that someone intentionally tried to massage into a marble at the original time of manufacture. Or are the pics just misleading and it really is a massive single?

John

These were single "ingot" marbles. All of the ones I know of were dug by Roger Hardy - who sold a number of these over the years at the New Philly show. They are conservatively believed to be true experimentals from Akro... and have the classic signs of such. The orange peel surface texture is likely chill marks from cool rollers and the huge size is what Akro did with some designs that we refer to as "experimentals".

Assumption and Speculation that any of these were purposefully made in that size IMO. Akro had rollers for 1 inch marbles. It is easy to assume many marbles up to this size 11/4"+ were possible. I have marbles almost an inch that were made on rollers for 3/4 inch marbles. These were just accidents. And I watched them made.

Just thought I would post my big mass agate between 1 1/4 and 1 5/16 a little out of round and found whit a lot of others I think it might have just been in a 300 gift box at one time >>

a few pics so here is a link .

http://smg.photobuck...0%20to%201x250/

sMVC-817S.jpg

sincabinet131X125mossade3S.jpg

smossadebig785S.jpg

I won this in an ebay auction of 257 marbles here is a link below of what it came with .

http://smg.photobuck.../257%20marbles/

sold the bag and a few others but save all the moss agates ade's SO did these get big and just put in Boxes ?? this for sure is no dug marble . Mike

I have never seen any Akro paperwork of any sort that the purposefully made or marketed any completely machine made marbles larger than 1". If that actually did come in a Akro package(big assumption IMO) I would guess it was a case of poor quality control which Akro usually was fairly careful of?? Over sized(Probably wouldnt fit the box) misshapen marbles are not something I would ever expect to find in an Akro package. Just my opinion

Well I know Akro never made them on purpose I was trying to get across was that I think some one put in a box or was a gift from an employee who also gave a gift box as it was with some many marbles that would have been all together in a box and this was also added in or ? . As I do not think it was just some thing bought separate or found alone had to have some kind of close connection to the plant . For sure not a digger but then never say never. I bet kids have been sneaking in at night since day 1 ?? . but what ever it is , now just in a cabinet . Mike

Giftboxmibs337.jpg

Giftboxmibs338.jpg

Giftboxmibs339.jpg

Giftboxmibs340.jpg

Giftboxmibs341.jpg

http://smg.photobuck.../257%20marbles/