Going To Canton Looking For A New Home.

lstmmrbls

I put out some mibs in a nice case on my coffee table to see if anyone would check them out and which ones would get their attention. The new jabo's got all the ooohs and ahhhhs........cac's and others received a few "that's nice".

Put those pics of Mountain mibs next to galen's haul and ask someone with no knowledge of mibs, which is prettier....

Why spend hundreds when in reality, these new mibs are prettier than 99.9% of vintage machine made mibs? Cause we know better?

good slam Mon but some folks just prefer to collect vintage stuff and really don't need others to oooh and ahhhh their marbles. I collect CACs because I like the history complexity of construction nice colors etc etc . I would imagine that is why most collect the types they do. Those that just want pretty can buy the new stuff, It is the same difference as collecting vintage Chippendale or Mission or some other type that is massively reproduced. Some folks want the real deal, not the cheap lookalikes. And some can only afford the cheaper look alikes so they go for those types. More power to them. I have a bunch of Jabos for you if you want to send me your address. They would probably go well with your beanie babies Bradford Exchange porcelains and your Franklin Mint coins.

Oh, not meant to slam your mibs and I too once thought like you. I was just pointing out pure & honest eyes judging beauty side-by-side. Sounds like, for you, it's a hobby so one can separate financial classes within...! Are these new marbles cheaper or inferior....will one outlast the other? They are cheaper$$$, complex and prettier..

The rest of your post needs no comment but reminds of a saying.....

the higher a monkey climbs

the more his ass you see

People collect things for a variety of reasons. Some for the eye appeal, some for type, some for rarity. A collection can have any number of attributes, or only one attribute. It doesn't make it good or bad. It makes you an individual, just like everyone else :-) Some like vanilla, some like chocolate. They all like ice cream.

I like Alleys Pelts and Handmades too!! The help me get more CACs!! I even have some pretty Jabos. Sometimes I think back to all the fantastic marbles I have gotten rid of and wonder what kind of collection of those other types I would have, if I would have kept them. But then I look at the CACs they have helped me procure and it all feels right!! Keep smiling Mon and don't take my BS too personal. But I would have to disagree with the more complex statement. The new back yard marbles are cullet and art glass put in a tank. The difficulty of batch making compatible glass in a variety of colors and the complexity of CAC marble construction seems light years more complex to me.

More complex statement?

I wonder what pre machine marble makers thought of this faster process of machine marbles? Prob a lot like galen vs jabo. The comparison of marbles to fine furniture is funny! Remember, one was for a child's liking and a short future by design.

Keep on smilin.......wet Willie......love that tune!