Unusual Ebay Listing

it's unusual to me that the very people who were so critical of JABO when David was there are now defending JABO. Which way is it? Galen never had a kind word for JABO. JABO was awful and now they're wonderful? Or is it attack Edna time because I stepped on some toes of someone's friends? Is this board becoming the board to agitate disagreements? IMHO I have the right to ask the questions I asked.

On this type of auction they are only auctioning off marbles during that time period. Even asking all these questions doesnt guarantee success. Whether its from Jabo or Sammy Hogue they could all turn out dark during your hour. Myself I like more of a sure thing.

I agree with Clyde.

Truth be known sissydear, you hope Jabo is a failure and that is the only reason you post only negative about the Company.

You use the term investor, which is wrong the seller appears to only be selling a share of a two hour run. They are not looking for investors as I read the auction. If you actually read the auction ( instead of just posting and hoping for a bunch of info that would be proprietary (( of or relating to the ownership of the company)) you would see it states "I will gladly answer any questions you may have just message by Ebay"

Here is an old quote that is quite appropriate; It is amusing how the board has turned into an advertising platform for the new Sammy marbles and a slamfest against the old hero Jabo. What happened to the old give them all the support you can as they are one of the last American marble companies???????????????? No more free marbles

I think it is great others are getting to participate in the making of marbles not just a select few of as you call them " investors". As I read the auction the general public is getting a opportunity to actually be a part of marble making history. For a purchase price they can participate from the beginning to the end of the run they buy. It appears they own all of the marbles that are made to do with as they please ie name them, sell them, keep them, give them to scouting organizations, give them to kids marble clubs and etc ad infinitum.
How many times in ones life time do they get this type of experience.
I think that is what this auction is selling and not the type of just a select few always doing a marble run.
If the hobby is going to endure and companies prosper here in America I ask; What is wrong with getting the public involved?
You talk about your grandson being at a run, what is wrong with other families having that opportunity? NOTHING
The children are the future of this country.
If Galen posts about JABO, it's OK? If I ask questions I'm being negative. Well now I am negative macdog. Anyone who buys a share is an investor. I do not advertise for Sammy's Mountain Marbles. I do post marbles I was part of making. I guess that irritates you. I'd like to see the JABO's posted here too. Most of what gets posted at JABOLand comes from the McCullough era. They are not posted at JABOLAND except for a few. And as I said before, I've seen what comes out of the runs. Nobody is posting those. I don't have any Sammy's I would be embarrassed to post.

I never made that statement you seem to be attributing to me. Not my words about JABO being one of the last American, etc.

When McCullough was the marble maker at JABO, anyone could do a run. It wasn't limited to a few people. Many groups of people made marbles and the groups changed over time, adding new investors. Those people macdog were the public.

I don't think you really know me. I think I struck a nerve with you. If you knew me you would know that I am the president of the Texas Marble Collectors Inc. You would know that we actively recruit children as members and we plan at each show activities children would enjoy. Most shows we have guest artists who make marbles during the show and during the days of in room trading. We have artists who are very child friendly and involve the kids in their presentation. You would also know that I spent 34 years in public education living your remark "The children are the future of this country." I agree with you there. David McCullough always welcomed children in the marble plant. He gave them marbles and helped them understand what was going on and why. It wasn't just my grandson who got to experience "hands on" in the marble factory. I detect some jealousy that my grandson got to do those things. I think every child should get to do those things. Why aren't other parents and grandparents making those opportunities available? Not my fault. I did it. I don't know you or where you live, or if you have children. If you do, and you're close enough to come to West Virginia, you should make plans for your children to experience marble making. It's not rationed you know. You just have to want to.

Last, I see no difference in what is going on selling shares and being an investor. I am an investor. I buy a share at JABO or at Sammy's. I am paying money for marbles. Anybody could have done that. The difference is that runs I have been in are 10 to 20 hours long. I get to have some marbles from the whole time. The way that new one is described makes it sound like you are buying time and for an hour the marbles are all yours? Is that correct? I would prefer to get some of all the marbles for my money.

As for being transparent and I'm speaking to Galen here, not macdog, I have no hidden agenda. What you see is what you get. You, Galen, pride yourself on being allowed to question. I am questioning.

I want JABO to succeed. I want Marble King to succeed. I want Sammy's to succeed. I have questions on what I see happening at JABO. And of all people to criticize me Galen, have you forgotten all the things YOU said about JABO? Have you forgotten your constant warnings for people to stay away, not risk their money? You are the one most concerned about people taking part in such a losing endeavor.

I do it because I love marbles. I will never make the money back. But I will enjoy the marbles and making people (including children) happy to have some of them.

I forgot this part. Rich, I did not name any names. <----you summed ALL marble makers in a group Edna, and I am in that group

I made no comment about you. "They have had no marble maker since David was fired. No" <---- I AM a marble maker just don't fit the "dump glass into a oven and let's see what happens" group. I study the science of glass and how it is made combined with the molecular reactions under intense heat as well as molten glass flow inside the ovens and what happens in the span wise and longitudinal circulation patterns. Let me see who else does this and please tell me you know someone else that understands what I did that is currently making marbles!

I appreciate the hard work you did over 8 months, but I didn't see any of those marbles except what you brought to our show. <- that is because you never took time to have a look - too busy elsewhere after I attempted to show all the ones I brought TWO times! I drove 1800 miles Edna to show you and explain the run to you but you were too busy in another vendor's room visiting and walked past me as I stood there waiting at least for some type of hospitality from you. The second time, I had to block your path in the hallway to get your attention then follow you to your room for a 3 or 5 min show and tell - clearly not enough time for you to see what I brought. Then I never saw you stop by my table to look at what I brought!

Does that mean it was a very limited run? <-- it was a science experiment where there were ONLY 3 people in charge there + the 2 employees running the machine. You bet it was limited.

Any investors in that one? <-- Why would I need investors in an experiment? Why the perseveration on "investors?"

We're not talking about experimental, learning runs. <--- yes we are because it doesn't matter the reason, we are making marbles!!!!!

We're talking here about people risking money for marbles they can sell and recoup their money. <--- are you sure ALL people sell the marbles that are a part of the runs? I know of 2 personally that NEVER sell their marbles yet participate in marble runs.

I'd expect more understanding from you Edna with your experience and vast knowledge with marbles. I hope in the future you can focus on the positive things that ALL marble making companies can bring forth to the children of this country. Without us adults promoting ALL marble making companies and engaging the youth, the hobby will cease to exist. We need to get out to the community parks with the "marbles that will be played with" and get the kids there involved and interested as my friend has in San Clemente, Ca. Every Saturday he and his son take 100 marbles (made by a USA marble making company) and gets the other kids to play marbles. There is a 100 year old tree with bumpy tree roots dug into the ground. The kids did holes in places of their choice and follow each other making up rules as they play of who wins the hole and the marbles not in it yet. For 3 hours they play and have the time of their lives.

Do you think the kids care on iota which company made the marbles or hold a grudge against one company? Do you think they know the difference between a marble made by putting glass into an oven verses a scientific experiment? Certainly not! It seems the adults are the ones who can't play like adults but rather ACT like kids in the way they treat the marbles making companies.

Personally, I want ALL companies to thrive and succeed because it's good for the kids. You've seen my web site and I cater to ALL the companies that want me to keep track of their history of the marbles they make.

No, you don't get it. I was talking about "marble maker" as in the person at JABO, employed by JABO. You were a "guest artist". You were applying what you studied for 8 months. I know a lot of marble makers, but none of them work for JABO, unless their new person is someone I know. I do know you are a marble maker. I repeat : I wasn't referring to you in any of my remarks. You are not employed by JABO. Or maybe you are their new marble maker?

Rich, I don't even have time to sell marbles at Texas Shows. They keep me busy. the only down time I have is during in room trading and that is precious little. You did show me your whole case of marbles and I did see the marbles you had out on your table at the show. You had told all of us that they weren't your marbles, they were Joanne's and you couldn't sell them. Many of us were surprised when you talked about how many you sold. You also explained your theories and research to me. I did get it. I was a science major as an undergraduate. I don't agree with all of your findings, but I don't care to argue now about it, nor did I at the show. I gave you space to explain your ideas and I gave you no criticism or disagreement.

I was there with you in the same hotel room during room trading and you refused to come to my room to see them. I understand why because my step daughter booked my room for me in a hotel across the street from the show by mistake and you didn't want to leave.

ALL of the marbles were Joanne's since I had not received my part at that time Edna as I told you. ALL those marbles were for sale and 70% of what I brought sold at the show.

I gave you the lay version of the explanation about how the colors were formed. I kept it very simple for you as usually technical science isn't for the masses.

How was I to communicate with you when you choose to not discuss things and keep them to yourself?

You certainly know that communication solves all disagreements in science and when one party withholds things, it would seem like arguing. I didn't withhold, I just watered it down the processes for your understanding. Sorta like the KISS method - Keep It Simple Students.

I am sorry you feel I am arguing with you. I thought I was taking the path of an adult conversation and expressing my feelings at the same time.

By the way, there are several specific types of science majors so stating that you were a science major and an undergraduate could mean you were one of five different science majors: chemistry - biology - geology - physics - astronomy and I can't tell from you post which one you specialized in.

You'll need more than a basic understanding of the metallic, non metallic , metalloids, etc. elements and how all the oxidation numbers combine to form the different colors of glass Edna let alone the nature of metallic bonding - are these easily understood by your science background?

Two great sissydear quotes

Josh, "I wouldn't know I never search for JABO or Sammy's on ebay." I don't know who is selling to you or what they are calling them. posted 3/25/13

Now 10 weeks later

" I have watched marbles for sale on ebay." posted 6/11/13

There are lots of these if you study her posts over time

Again as I read it this auction says "I will gladly answer any questions you may have just message by Ebay"

Whatever Steph!

Nice way to cover up another person's lack of ability to hold a discussion of science by saying it's personal.

If it were really personal I would simply PM the person!

And Mike seems you too need to take a chemistry class as education is a good thing!

Sorry Steph, Gonna get personal here. OK to delete me for sure. Rich this wasn't about you or you marbles(which actually were not very good). And we do not need chemistry classes on a marble board. Now here are some bad a** marbles http://www.canalfultonglassworks.com/glass_marbles.htm. And Mike doesn't need any classes. His jabo run was fantastic and he only studied for 2.354 hours And he does fantastic torch work. He is a true arteest

Galen - I understand you not liking my run since you are totally colorblind so I expected your post! I saw that "look" on your face when you saw the marbles in person - you had no idea what they looked like.

Go on and believe whatever it is that makes you happy - it's ALL good!!!!!

Steph - I can't get the song, "Here I come to save the day!" out of my head after reading your post! We'll now never know what science that was studied or lack of qualifications were there.... oh well.... marble on!

Not totally color blind. More like color confused(LOL), And sorry Rich if I came off insulting. But dull marbles are dull marbles. Every run can't be a winner in color and design.I did pick out a few that were a bit nicer than most but turned out they were mostly fractured.

You needed to use sunlight not those crummy in room trading lights! Seriously, they are NOT dull in ant way, shape or form! Hummmmm, I don't remember you getting any? I must be older than I thought!

Watch out Galen, we might be getting TOO personal here for Steph...lol

You got THAT right!!!!!

It's just I hate it when someone has NO background in an area of study telling others what they say is correct and refuse to set the record stright - it then becomes MORE that "just mrbles." Their silence speks volumes as I have heard from the emails I have received.

Senses, we don't need no freaking senses. Braid, I do understand some folks as yourself finding little of value with these type confrontational posts. But the truth is they are what seem to bring the most views, the most posts and quite often the most information to the board. The look at my pretty marble posts lack the ability to keep a board running IMO. It seems when a board starts deleting and limiting what can get posted the end come soon. Look what happened to the other boards when they started the heavy policing because of complaints from a few. Strong opinions and good arguments can be done in a productive way. If folks just didn't take this stuff personal things would be great. And we could get to hear all the different opinions folks have. Most leave when they feel there opinions will be discounted or slammed by others with different opinions, Believe me I know.(LOL) And not calling a spade a spade allows others to get taken and used. Too many folks already have their heads buried in the sand!!!!

I too like a good discussion where you get all sides. Makes things a lot more interesting and one smarter. Sometimes you can take it as gospel and sometimes with a grain of salt. Think about motive sometimes too and then one must also remember a famous line from All the President's Men when Deep Throat (Holbrook) tells Bob Woodward (Redford) "Follow the Money."