Akro Haul That Make Ya Stutter...

There really is no such thing as black glass.

The "black" marbles are usually Red,blue,green base with mixtures in the glass to make them black.

Purple is the most common as it is so dense it can even repel light and on a shiny surface, will not emit a purple hue,but pure black

There are no black marbles

Per images, if you are using your cellular phone, go into your image settings and adjust the image to 3megs in size and they will be 1512x1084 (Gike or take)

Yeh I understand that concept....I have a popeye on ebay that if you look at the pics you would think it is black and yellow. But in the proper light and if you look close you can realize it is super really dark blue. So I listed it that way as Cobalt blue. The other one no matter what light i put on it looks black. I'm a huge Saints fan so to me it looks "BLACK AND GOLD" and may never leave my hands...LOL

I have that type of "pop". Except it doesnt have enough clear and stringy white to qualify as a true pop. It's black though. I would call it a 3 color cork, white/black/yellow. This exact type I have seen sold as a popeye though. Nice score irregardless if it's a pop or not.

And we might have to rethink this black glass thing. I know it's always supposed to really be dark purple or blue, and most of the time I'm sure it is . . . but in Hellmers' batch book he has formulae very clearly labeled "black glass." Since he was Akro's glass chemist for awhile, I think it's worth looking into. Unfortunately I don't have the place or the wherewithall to mix up a batch, especially when the recipe starts with 1,000 pounds of sand. But I'll copy it/them out and any seasoned glass chemists here can tell us what color they think it would produce . . .

And we might have to rethink this black glass thing. I know it's always supposed to really be dark purple or blue, and most of the time I'm sure it is . . . but in Hellmers' batch book he has formulae very clearly labeled "black glass." Since he was Akro's glass chemist for awhile, I think it's worth looking into. Unfortunately I don't have the place or the wherewithall to mix up a batch, especially when the recipe starts with 1,000 pounds of sand. But I'll copy it/them out and any seasoned glass chemists here can tell us what color they think it would produce . . .

Black glass was Soda-Lime+ Silica+Carbon.

was still green glass with factors added to it so light would not penetrate it.

Charcoal glasses usus a similar compound whos name I forget, Boro-something