Need Akro Name Help

Steph

I am convinced that Dot's marble at this link would have been sold originally in a Moss Agate box.

But I totally don't know what the modern collector's name for it would be. It's past time I learned. I know when there is blue it's sometimes called an Ace. Would it also be called an Ace with red? Or is this some sort of Cherry something? Or ...?

It's sometimes called a cherry tomato.

Some definitions.

Popeyes=clear base, stringy white, 2 or more other colors

ringer=same as a pop only 1 color.

Cornelian are opaque red, Akro's version of a brick.

Carnelian look like a Carnelian stone.

Cornelian and Carnelian are not the same.

Aces and Ades=patch type, translucent white with another color

Ades glow, Aces do not

If I am off in my descriptions let me know.

Ok

DEBATE!

Subscribed !

Going to be some data here I bet :0

ALSO

Find the name of those "Prize Names" lol

Fire opal was all I was able to get from the listing you sent Steph

I, like many others, tend to find the term confusing and have wondered why so many had been called that.

A list of the actual marbles and the names that were applied would be awesome lol

I just find that calling 200 different marbles Prize name,without knowing the names attributed to them dull. granted I bet many were not named and I think they should be, but the older end of the hobby, the "EARTH IS FLAT!" end may have an issue with that :)

Then the world is flat. Or at least until Steph or someone else can chime in because I cant seem to remember the magazine. They are called prize names because in a magazine Akro was suppossed to award a prize for those 200 corks. Not individualt but as a group. Akro didnt publish the name given as promised and when it did it was just a one or two line blurb in a later issue. Because of that people call them prize name.

Then the world is flat. Or at least until Steph or someone else can chime in because I cant seem to remember the magazine. They are called prize names because in a magazine Akro was suppossed to award a prize for those 200 corks. Not individualt but as a group. Akro didnt publish the name given as promised and when it did it was just a one or two line blurb in a later issue. Because of that people call them prize name.

I know,Steph sent me a copy of the boiys life ad

But, doesn;t that seem like BLAH to you ?

I mean... I listed one and added bengal and Pumkpin Pie and Halloween to the name :0

I listed it was called a prize name,but this marble screemed halloween to me ;)

I jsut think naming the more unique looking ones would be fun and while scorned and scoff by the older members, would catch on if enough people used them :P

EXAMPLE....

$T2eC16VHJHgFFl-7tVUuBSBCoRhFnw~~60_57.J

that SCREAMS Halloween to me ;)

or

AKRO REBEL !

$T2eC16Z,!zEE9s3!YboFBSBCP0GJ,w~~60_57.J

Maybe I am just bucking the system and will only get grief :)

But calling 200 marbles "Prize name" seems silly,redundant,unimaginative and bland......you watch,there will be a petition to oust me from the marble community before the year is out because of my radical ideas !!! :P

Damn those pics are big lol

The name which won the Prize Name contest was "Fire Opal", which obviously wasn't used as a corkscrew name.

Prize Name stuck as the official Akro name on boxes and in catalogs. Here's a thread with part of the original flyer, and the two-month-late announcement of the winner.

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/8347-speaking-of-akro-loose-ends

I got all of that

I mean WE need to get creative and make some name changes :0

Prize name X200 should be 200 names !!

I mean, I am looking for ap rize name with this color or that color and you get 50 examples and confusion

BUTTTTT

if I say I want an Akro cubscout POW...I get 1 example PERIOD :)..well 1 example and maybe 20 blends from 20 other marbles,but you get my gist ;)

So you won't be accepting Galen's invitation to join Name Haters Anonymous ..... :P

That may be true lol

If you name your dog,why not your marble ? I named a 1.25 slag KONG :)

I think Bob Block got a giggle out of that when we were conversing.

But I do think it will be ok to hand out names as long as I get many,many more and keep it up :P

I may change my ebay ID to Marble-Rogue :P Then buy up a lot of the same marbles and keep listing and calling them the name I choose.

Althugh......I have difficulty selling marbles i like. All of those Akros I listed are not mine and were i worried i would not be fair, I would have paid for that 4 color popeye and not even listed it. But I would rather live by my own code and wait for one to pop up in a lot I buy :) Impartiality for the sake of being impartial !

BUT...That Ghost popeye....( I KID ! I LISTED IT AS A ONYX...but I do not think it is one :)) if it is sitting at 6-8.00 or less prior to the final 12 hours, I will flop 10.00 in the kitty and keep it. It just looks too damn cool !

Steph did you get your answer for this thread? I put those definitions up because I saw a lot of ID mistakes in that thread link.

Gnomie with marbles the name saying goes"If you own it. You can call it whatever you want" If I want to call it dop poop. Well then until it goes to somebody else it's dog poop.