Morphy's Auction

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy did this topic kind of drift away from marbles from morphy's. I went to the auction and got 10 lots. I went from there to visit family and had them delay shipping until I got home. My best buy was #261 an almost 2-3/8 3 lobed onion that was much better in hand than pics $225 :-) 1-15/32 ribbon lutz I think they graded 8.8 but it had no missing glass and some light pocket wear for $375. I got 2 christensen blue laces for 175 one described as having fx in the blue but I have yet to find it. My favorite is lot 16 described as a shrunken core onion with outer panels. Simply put it was a clear base glass submarine with rare colors and mica on the inner core, but the best thing about this one is I have same cane brother to it and I thought from the pics it might have been but in hand was no doubt. I picked up a few unusual 7/8" onions which is one of my favorite sizes to collect. I think one or two may have been mine once before. Did pick up a couple other lots that were interesting but I probably could live without maybe attribute to auction fever:-). My impressions of the auction; I had very few problems with the grading. The big indian was unbelievable in hand but way out of my pocket book. Lot 15, and 135 were examples of marbles that to my eye were exactly as described but just didn't do as much for me in hand which is totally subjective on my part. If I had been at this auction 10 years ago I would have bought all the big lobed core onions. They all had a little too much damage for my taste today but sold quite reasonably. The length of the auction was a big improvement over the 700+ lot auctions they have had. Happy New Year to all Bill

Boy did this topic kind of drift away from marbles from morphy's. I went to the auction and got 10 lots. I went from there to visit family and had them delay shipping until I got home. My best buy was #261 an almost 2-3/8 3 lobed onion that was much better in hand than pics $225 :-) 1-15/32 ribbon lutz I think they graded 8.8 but it had no missing glass and some light pocket wear for $375. I got 2 christensen blue laces for 175 one described as having fx in the blue but I have yet to find it. My favorite is lot 16 described as a shrunken core onion with outer panels. Simply put it was a clear base glass submarine with rare colors and mica on the inner core, but the best thing about this one is I have same cane brother to it and I thought from the pics it might have been but in hand was no doubt. I picked up a few unusual 7/8" onions which is one of my favorite sizes to collect. I think one or two may have been mine once before. Did pick up a couple other lots that were interesting but I probably could live without maybe attribute to auction fever:-). My impressions of the auction; I had very few problems with the grading. The big indian was unbelievable in hand but way out of my pocket book. Lot 15, and 135 were examples of marbles that to my eye were exactly as described but just didn't do as much for me in hand which is totally subjective on my part. If I had been at this auction 10 years ago I would have bought all the big lobed core onions. They all had a little too much damage for my taste today but sold quite reasonably. The length of the auction was a big improvement over the 700+ lot auctions they have had. Happy New Year to all Bill

i see on ebay morphyauctions has the guinea halves and the supoosed guniea cane... that doesn't even look like it belongs there.... i check the realized price was 270.00 ... who wants to say it doesn't even break 150...

there is a seller on ebay that sells gueinea halves and cobra and cyclones you can get 10 od them for around 60.00 i think thats pushing it... the cane i think it a josephs coat cane... the colored glass is stretched ... i don't think any cac marble looks like that...

plus correct me if im wrong but hand mades came from canes and machine mades had cullet that was left over...

what are you thoughts

Long strings of cullet glass found at CAC have given some folks the Idea that they made canes. Of course they have to totally forget about the seams or the handgathered 9s and cutoff marks. It is a ridiculous(or whatever is even more ridiculous than rediculous idea IMO. They even use classic football shaped marbles(from riding the rounding rollers) as examples of pontiled marbles. CACs are machine made marbles.

• 2 weeks later...

morphys has a coin auction going on, amazing what prices some coins bring these days.

This coin has no reserve but the minimum bid is 18 grand??? that sounds like a reserve to me..

This coin is being sold with no reserve.

Details
Lot Number: 323 Serial Number: 25530268 Estimate: $37,500.00 Number of Bids: 0 Current Bid: $0.00 Minimum Bid: $18,000.00 This lot has NO reserve