Morphy's Creditability

ausman

Opinions Please.

I bid on some items in the recent Morphy's auction this past Friday and Saturday. I have several concerns about this auction. I was on-line Friday, when I bid on a lot and subsequently won said lot. Moments later, I bid on another lot, at $25. When I "clicked" to enter the bid; It immediately ran to $100. And that's what I was stuck with and ultimately won. Monday, I received my invoice and it only reflected the $100 lot. Tuesday, I contacted Morphy's. Left a message and was later contacted by a service rep. I questioned about why the auction I initially won wasn't on the invoice; and was told that it had a reserve, that wasn't met. (But Morphy's later up-dated the auction to show "realized prices" and this lot showed $60 ($50 + $10) which was my bid. If the reserve wasn't met; then how can there be a "realized price"?

Next, the service rep tells me that I have a second invoice for another lot that I won. I told the rep that I wasn't aware of any other win. I told the rep to combine the invoices and paid with my credit card. Later, when I checked this lot number; I saw that I had initially lost on this. If I actually had won this particular lot, wouldn't it have been added to my original invoice?

Your thoughts.

Sounds like the oil has gotten low on what at one time years ago was a well run machine. Someone dropping the ball or Are they trying to get as much as they possibly can out of each auction one way or another?? Seems these type actions would cost them a lot of bidders?

Ausman, I can answer your queary for your first question. I had the same happen to me back in April auction. Although someone did outbid me. Thankfully. What I figured out is that at least for online bidders, (cant say for floor bidders) is that the initial price you see on your screen in what the item's opening bid is when they first post the catalog online as if it had no bids. Their program when the item opens to intenet bidders doesnt take into account of bids already on it from people who have done absentee bidding. eg. If a lot had an initial $10 opening at time of initial posting but there was already a $50 opening absentee bid you will see for a couple seconds the $10 bid Not the $50 bid that is actually there. So, if you're quick and hit the 10 it will actually take a $55 bid because it hadnt updated quick enough to show the $50. In essence by being to quick you screw yourself. Why their system doesnt begin with opening what prebid is already on it I dont know. That's why each lot for a second starts real low. Even though in actuallity it has a higher bids already on it. I have watched it happen on EVERY single lot when it opens. That's why I wait a couple seconds for it to catch up to show the absentee bids. It's a big big problem with their software and can cause bidders (same as in your case) to bid more than they intended.

Are they sending them out with IOUs these days? Are you asking if a marble goon will show up at your front door in a few months if you don't pay the bill? Personally, I wouldn't want to find out anybody's skills around recouping their due funds. People do what they have to do to get money owed to them. You did ask about credit ability, right? :)

Thanks Clyde. Now that you mention it; I do remember you posting about this last April.

Nantucketdink, I take it that your sarcasm is because you don't own a dictionary.

Creditability and credibility are synonyms...sort of like Nantucketdink and Masshole.

• 2 weeks later...