Tiny Handmade Clearie Almost Smallest, Least Rare, Most Worthless Known To Exist?

lstmmrbls

Neat clear one. I have not seen that type but the ball looks it may have come from some type of mold. Odd very large circular pattern seen from this view. Size of ball?

The large circular pattern is like you'd see on many hand made marbles from where it is 'worked' off the cane. At first I thought it could be wear marks from rotating in the metal claw but after closer inspection that isn't the case.

They are 2 inches +

actually the closer I look it appears that the smooth area may have been where it was under one of the (claws) as it moved?) or is that just an optical illusion. Looks like it has worn down some of the scratches. Just doesn't look at all like a cane cut mark to me.

I have seen cane cut marbles(swirls) and even some sulphides in the claw feet so I am sure it is possible they did some big clearies. Is there any sign of an opposite pontil? ,And is that the type where the ball actually moves in the holder?( A real caster ball)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Although the principle is the same two opposing steel halfs the codds stopper marble mould was much different to the lead bullet mould it was circular and moulded 16 at a time

Below is a picture showing the moulds , and sprig belonging to John Ault and used for education

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/molly1photo/johns1.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/molly1photo/007.jpg

the lad to the left is holding what has come out of the mould i believe it is called a sprig the marbles were broken of and the ruff ends were if long manually filed off and then the marbles ground down in the machine below

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/9718/fig30uv.jpg

Here is a small part of an article written by Mark Potten Credit to him for the pics and article

The plunger having been released, and the mould opened, the boy seizes the centre of the glass, now cooled to a semi-liquid, and runs off with it to the annealing oven, where he knocks the marbles off into a large iron box, to hold, say, 100 gross, sufficient for a day's work. They are there left to anneal thoroughly, and are then cooled gradually and taken to the grinding-room where they are carefully sorted, and those that have been broken off with pieces, too long for grinding are chipped first.

The best way to do this is with a file having a countersunk hole in it, into which the “get” or burr of the marble is placed, a small half-round file being used as a chopper. The marbles are then ready for grinding, which process is best accomplished by the use of Mr. Wickham’s grinding apparatus. This consists of a grindstone, working horizontally on a vertical shaft. The stone is placed and made fast to an iron table, and an iron bar is laid across the top, which keeps the surface smooth. Four boys can work at one grinding machine each being able to grind, with the use of the Wooden holders supplied by Mr.Wickham, about two gross an hour.

Water of course is used, and the waste is allowed to pass off through the curved pipe shown under the grindstone. When the burr is ground quite smooth and even with the rest of the marble the operation is completed. The counting is accomplished by an ingenious shovel with twelve grooves, each groove being made to hold a dozen marbles so that every time the shovel is used in counting one gross is scored They are then sent in boxes or casks to their destination. “

Hope this is of some interest and adds to the thread Presumably your marbles could have been made like this in large numbers

Craig C