What's In A Name?

kbobam

The title I used in another post reminded me of a theory I came up with many years ago

and never followed up on.

The question I'm leading up to is primarily directed toward our European friends, although of

course anyone is welcome to chime in. I'd like to know "Are you aware of any significant number

of people with the name 'Webber' in your part of the world? As opposed to 'Weber' with one 'b'."

My assumption has always been that Webber is somewhat of an 'Americanization' of the more

'original' one-b version. (Of course I could be horribly wrong about this.)

In the US, both names are pronounced exactly the same way, although it would be more proper

to pronounce Weber along the lines of Vay-ber. And let's be honest with ourselves. It's

embarrassingly obvious to the rest of the world that Americans 'simply can't be bothered' with

pronouncing 'foreign' names correctly.

In American English, Webber is certainly a more 'correct' spelling for the way we say both names,

and most people instinctively want to spell it that way. This sometimes leads to problems when

people write down your personal information. In the past, I've been granted 'security clearance'

to enter certain facilities, and been denied access the next day when I've signed-in with the

proper spelling. Once it's 'in the computer' the wrong way, you're in trouble. D'oh!

I also sort of wonder if some people named 'Faber' might have been Webers way back when. ( :

No Webbers here that I know of,(sounds a bit strange in my ears),it is pronounced as:web-ber.

Weber is a common name here,pronounced as Way-ber.

I don't see the connection between Faber and Weber,those names are pronounced completely differently here.

Hope this helps a bit to find your answer.

Thanks, Winnie!

That's exactly the sort of situation I was thinking about.

Regarding the Faber name, I was picturing the frenetic situation of new immigrants being processed through Ellis Island.

In American English, Faber (fay-ber) sounds very similar to the German Weber.

So a busy clerk might easily 'hear' Mr. Weber's name incorrectly.