Need Opinion On Chipped Marbles

shotgun

Are the older marbles that have several chips from use over the years on them have any value to them ??? I have a couple dozen of them that aren't to bad , but do have wear chips .... and just not sure what to do with them .... The big one measures just a little over 1 1/2 inches ....

Thanks Doug

411863034.jpg

favoritefrontside.jpgfavoritebackside.jpg

this is one of my favorite marbles. The second pic shows a large chunk of glass missing. This marble is valuable to me because it is such an unusual color combination. I've never found another one in 5/8 in size. I do have one that is 3/4 inch that is mint. So, I'd say depends on the owner. I wouldn't sell this one.

I think it depends on the marble. A chipped up regular single color akro corkscrew has no monetary value. A chipped pelt golden rebel is worth a little bit. I think folks are more forgiving of damage on the german handmades (I know I am). Some beginners don't mind chipped up marbles, and if you put together a good lot of them they will sell. I had some chipped ones saved up and sent them to a boy scout troop that was discussing marble collecting so they could have some to get their collections started. So I guess they always have some value, if not always monetary.

My general rule of thumb is that a handmade will depreciate about 10-20% for very very minor damage. The damage on your onion is more extensive so I'd expect 60-80% depreciation from a upper 9s example.

For machine mades, unless they are rare or unusual, the depreciation rate is much greater.

Think of the love and hate those chipped marble endured, with some even succeeding. Found an article on the 1957 Oregon state marble tournament with this line in it "In the Oregon state championship, Lelian Satterfield, 13, won the state championship using a badly chipped “pete” (shooter)."

In that tournament, you couldn't replace your shooter unless the biggest chunk got to be smaller than the target marbles.