What Is It??

JerryG

I quit collecting a bit over 10 years ago. Recently restarted and have been going through boxes that have been in storage for all those years. This morning going through a box of packaged marbles, I came across a newspaper wrapped thing. Firebrick core. Glass covered. I vaguely remember that this was part of the machinery that produced Akro Corks. Comments are welcome.

AkroThing1.jpg

AkroThing2.jpg

AkroThing3.jpg

AkroThing4.jpg

I was under the impression that the plunger was used to regulate the flow of the stream, which came out of the tank by gravity. When you say the plunger was used to "push the glass into . . ." and "plunge the molten glass through . . .", what do you mean? It seems like it would be hard to push molten glass with a pointed object.

. . . That's why it's called a regulator!

"Plunger" seems to be a poor descriptor of its function. I like regulator better - if that's what it actually does. A plug to keep the glass in the tank until it's ready to flow seems sensible too.

For transparency, this is what I was told and it seemed plausible and did not ask many questions. These facts are not as strong as the cousin of the back-a-moe operator that dug up the exotics..etc..but it is what it is..

A kind of ceramic tile angled from the outside of the tank to the discharge steam with the funnel at the end. Different colored glass was introduced and a plunger was inserted on top to apply pressure and keep the regulated stream steady. This was how the different colors were introduced to the stream. I had a couple in new philly after doing some digging at Cairo. Don't even remember who it was.....Never researched this & could be the reason my right leg is 8 inches longer than the left. mon