Confirmation these are modern?

ManofKent

Vintage. :)

Most of 'em would be Peltier Rainbos. :thup: 

A style introduced in the mid-1930's.  Made for a long time after that.  Not sure that they didn't cross into the 70's, but you may safely call them vintage.    

:blush:

Thanks!

Well on the positive side:

• I spotted something interesting amongst the 70's Asian Cats eyes and Siso...
  • They're definitely worth the £1.99 I paid for them.
  • They're in beautiful condition, and I've learnt that condition isn't a good indicator of age.

They looked too new in the hand with the white base ones showing no wear even under a glass. I thought they were probably more recent Marble Kings that just looked older.

I'll try and take better photos of the pairs and odd one. Are there any agreed names for the styles/colours?

There might be a 7-up in the mix.  However, that's the only possible named one I recognize at this time.

Most Rainbos are not named anything other than Rainbo.  

Names are usually reserved for the NLR's.   (NLR = National Line Rainbo  -- so they're still Rainbos, eh? :) They're an older style though, which came from the  late 20's and early 30's.  And often appear in boxes which say National Line on them.   And that's where you'll have a better chance of having named ones, such as Zebra, Christmas Tree, John Deere, etc.)  

Some nice Rainbos. I've gotten hooked on Rainbos since I restarted collecting in November. So many color combinations and for the most price still reasonably priced, though... I was bidding on about 7 or 8 Rainbos last night from a single dealer and Oh My... Bidding quickly got out of my price range. Managed to pick up two of all of the ones I bid on. The rest went for $10-$12. They were nice, but I'm not paying that much for 5/8 Rainbos. Well, I did just pay $18 for a Clown, but thought that was a pretty good price. :)

2 hours ago, Steph said:

There might be a 7-up in the mix.  However, that's the only possible named one I recognize at this time.

Most Rainbos are not named anything other than Rainbo.  

Names are usually reserved for the NLR's.   (NLR = National Line Rainbo  -- so they're still Rainbos, eh? :) They're an older style though, which came from the  late 20's and early 30's.  And often appear in boxes which say National Line on them.   And that's where you'll have a better chance of having named ones, such as Zebra, Christmas Tree, John Deere, etc.)  

Thanks. The non-NLR's seem to come in a large range of colours. Names aren't really important - just kind of fun. I think the yellow on white ought to have a name like 'soft boiled egg' :)

2 hours ago, JerryG said:

Some nice Rainbos. I've gotten hooked on Rainbos since I restarted collecting in November. So many color combinations and for the most price still reasonably priced, though... I was bidding on about 7 or 8 Rainbos last night from a single dealer and Oh My... Bidding quickly got out of my price range. Managed to pick up two of all of the ones I bid on. The rest went for $10-$12. They were nice, but I'm not paying that much for 5/8 Rainbos. Well, I did just pay $18 for a Clown, but thought that was a pretty good price. :)

Oddly I picked up (well they're somewhere over the Atlantic) a group of four clowns - definitely one of the prettiest colour combinations. 

Oddly I picked up (well they're somewhere over the Atlantic) a group of four clowns - definitely one of the prettiest colour combinations. 

Prices seem to be all over the place. Recently I've seen them going for $40-$50 each. $17 seem too good to pass up.

Not sure about the blue and red ones.  They might be Alley Agate swirls from the St. Mary's location.  If you have a chance, post one or two other views of them?

3 hours ago, ann said:

Not sure about the blue and red ones.  They might be Alley Agate swirls from the St. Mary's location.  If you have a chance, post one or two other views of them?

Just had another look and unlike the yellow and red rainbos there's no obvious twin ribbon, but they're not a single patch. I'm too new to this to know how much variation there is in rainbos.

Very shiny in this pic.  So shiny I might think new on them.  

But from the other pic, and together with the rainbos, I'll say likely vintage here also. 

And agree with St. Marys Alley.  

1 hour ago, Steph said:

Very shiny in this pic.  So shiny I might think new on them.  

But from the other pic, and together with the rainbos, I'll say likely vintage here also. 

And agree with St. Marys Alley.  

Thanks - the lighting (and shadow recovery) is making them look a little more shiny (and the blue a little darker) than real life. None of them show any damage - all are practically mint.They're just a tad (must get some digital calipers) smaller than the white/yellow rainbos, but pretty much the same size as the white/red ones. 

Is there anything that distinguishes the St Mary's factory? Any recommended links/reading?

Looking on ebay for blue/red Alley's - they're a very good match for the one on the far left of this group:

s-l1600.jpg

The red is nothing like the others in this group - no brown - very much red to orange. 

I think the transparent ones are Peltier - very bubbly clear glass, one with a red and white ribbon circling round and through the centre, the other two with two shades of yellow doing the same thing.

Agree on the transparent ones being Pelt.  If the red and white has a colorless base, it's a Sunset.  If a green base, it's a 7-up.  If other base, I guess we stick with Rainbo.  

Well, if you get a Mr. Peanut bag it might have St. Marys Alleys in it.  

And if you get a Marble King bag with Alleys in it, I think they're St. Marys.  

... gonna start a thread to confirm .....  

We have an awesome Alley thread, but they're not divided by place.  Not sure if we have a special St. Marys thread.

5 minutes ago, Steph said:

Agree on the transparent ones being Pelt.  If the red and white has a colorless base, it's a Sunset.  If a green base, it's a 7-up.  If other base, I guess we stick with Rainbo.  

Sunset :thup: