St. Marys Alleys

Steph

Anyone wanna post some classic St. Marys Alleys ... and maybe later talk about the range of variation.  But first some of the ones which a new swirl student might have a good  chance of recognizing?

(I have a Mr. Peanut bag I can post but that means getting a picture, and you know me with the love-hate thing for my camera.)

Thanks Steph.

Maybe a daft beginners question, but when do collectors consider marbles produced at the St Mary's plant 'Alley's' and when do they consider them 'Marble Kings'? Was there a change in styles when Berry King took over?

Berry Pink ... AKA the Marble King. :)

I consider the basic St. Marys swirls to be Alley even when they show up in MK bags.  When MK was starting up they had much leftover Alley stock which they used while they perfected their own style. Edit: their style being the Rainbows and four-bladed cat's eyes.  

I don't know if they ever ran Alley-like marbles of their own, but I haven't heard that they did.  Have heard of Marble King swirls -- with colors similar to Marble King Rainbows -- but am not aware of those being sold back then. 

For fun ... a 1953 ad .... assuming the pictures show up ... (Photobucket is undergoing maintenance so I hope they show.)

I consider the  swirls Alleys ... even though this is four years into the Marble King company's existence. :)

Now you have me wondering about the clearies .... good chance Alley made those also but I have no idea .... and I guess I consider them Marble Kings just because they're in the Marble King packaging.  But I wonder what they would look like under blacklight -- if blacklight revealed a swirly interior I might start looking at them as Alleys. :huh:  

BerryPink1953A.jpg

BerryPink1953B.jpg

Ok. Probably not that much better. I was hoping to get better shots of the marbles, but the aging and filming of the poly bags makes it hard and I'm not opening the bags. At least I've got both front and back. So, maybe St. Marys?

MarbleKingBag1.jpg

MarbleKingBag2.jpg

Helpful photos.  Thanks, Jerry.  Big yes to St. Marys.  

My marbles are out of their Mr. Peanut bag but for the life of me, I can't see the hole they came out of.  Did I cut it open or was it loose, I don't know -- where's that hole?  There it is.  Apparently I made a small incision.  #BadSteph  

Yes, and where are my pictures?  I'll definitely get some pictures if no one comes up with the color combo I'm looking at.  Which I will describe as green on teal.  Hope I can capture it. 

P.s., Thank you, Paul, OF COURSE!

These colors are pretty close.  (Look how white one of the bases is ... practically Christensen-Agate-white.)

StMarys_MrPeanut_001a_zpsdjr27gzd.jpg

Meant to include the bag and label in the pic.  Ooops.  Here's the label.  

StMarys_MrPeanut_001b_zpsufnz3kcr.jpg