Scrimshaw marble?

budwas

3 hours ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Cool, that makes three that I've seen.  apparently used for 'pea pool' or 'kelly pool'

fb7a1ca5-f824-47d4-a78a-eb13237f10cf_zps

Thanks for the info on this one! I spend a lot of time on the Boufort sea coast and get to see a lot of ivory art and crafts. This marble looks to be made from ivory and not glass, it's also a little lighter in weight then glass. And the color is right on for ivory. Do yours have the same traits?

I sent an email and pics out to a good friend in Alaska. He is very knowledgeable about things made from old and new ivory. He says they look to be old walrus tusk by the aged color and grain. I will take it with me when I go back to work and report back. He collects artifacts from the days of the whaling ships. 

we had the entire set of the American toy company ones. they were a glazed china with a deep flo blue color numbers. I agree ivory, or possibly bone, all the way. the larger ivory spheres used in full size pool balls always had a dot or hole, on the end where the marrow ran.  also have a 1-1/4" ivory marble. it too has the dot. also have an inlaid and dyed ivory marble, will post pic. later. :)

you could always do the hot need test too, to rule out anything man made.

Ernie

3 hours ago, zaboo said:

we had the entire set of the American toy company ones. they were a glazed china with a deep flo blue color numbers. I agree ivory, or possibly bone, all the way. the larger ivory spheres used in full size pool balls always had a dot or hole, on the end where the marrow ran.  also have a 1-1/4" ivory marble. it too has the dot. also have an inlaid and dyed ivory marble, will post pic. later. :)

you could always do the hot need test too, to rule out anything man made.

Ernie

Hi Erie

Nice to meet you! Did the hot needle test, it's not plastic. I'm sure it's ivory. Excited to see your pictures!

Bud 

Ernie

Those are very cool!  Most of the petrified ivory I've seen in Alaska has been Wooly Mammoth tusk, it's darker in color. Yours looks like female walrus tusk. It's denser then the male tusks and lighter in color. The natives make some beautiful jewelry with both.

Thanks for the pics and please accept my apology for misspelling your name, auto correct strikes again. 

Bud