Did you ever play marbles?

Steph

In 6th grade, I had a chance.

There were a coupla girls who played marbles in the schoolyard at recess.  They asked me to play, but they played for keeps and my mother said no to that.

Sure did, pretty often in the 1980s. We played for keeps and I was good, it's how I got started enjoying marbles. I would seek out the ones I wanted for my collection in the ring and get them as often as I could. The good old days when we played marbles, cops and robbers, tag, hide and seek, and rode on our bikes and skateboards instead of playing video games all day and staying glued to the TV. 

Yes I played marbles in the mid 1950's. I played again at a couple WV marble shows in 2003 & 2005. I also traded a lot of marbles as a kid. I traded baseball cards or comics for marbles. It was all about eye appeal. I did not know one company from another and didn't care who made them or their age. Like several people now I wish that I had them back. I have been curious as to what I had back then ?  I have found a few Ravenswood's and Vitro's in the ground where I grew up. Some of these were only halves. As I set them on fence post and shot them with my BB gun. Then I graduated to a 22 which split them easy. Recently found two or three Ravenswood's while digging a ditch for new electric service where my old sandbox was located.