German Sparklers I

Guest browse4antiques

Guest browse4antiques

Most of the German sparklers are internal stripes in a clear base (1st pic), but some have their bands entirely on the surface in a "beachball" style, which are more difficult to find (2nd pic). I think both of these are later (1960's) versions. Note the heavily spidered cutoff marks. (both are 3/4"). ... Roger

sp2.jpg

sp-bb1.jpg

Guest browse4antiques

Some of the German sparklers have a very smooth surface (1st pic), while others have a heavy textured (orange-peel) surface (2nd pic). The two marbles in the pics were found together in the same batch, and they each have a form of oxblood in their striping. ... Roger

sp-ox4.jpg

sp-ox2.jpg

Guest browse4antiques

Here's two examples of German sparklers that have transparent glass in their striping. The first has a big internal band of transparent deep blue (1st pic). The second (beachball) has a band of transparent red as one of its external bands (2nd band). Viewed from the side, they give the marbles the impression of being in a colored base. (3/4") ... Roger

sp-trans-blue.jpg

sp-trans-red.jpg

Guest browse4antiques

One of the most interesting characteristics of German sparklers is that sometimes they are constructed with strands of color that float above the core ribbons. This one has strands that are a deep red, but not quite the same as the "oxblood" color that is sometimes found (11/16"). ... Roger

sp-ox6.jpg

thanks, roger! your threads are always interesting and informative. and your pictures are great!

i didn't realize the surface/beachballs were harder to find. i have some only because of a lot i won on ebay never arrived, so the seller replaced them with as many of the beachballs. i was disappointed because they're kind of dull, but i guess i should consider myself lucky to have some that are less common.

~chris

I found these at an antique store a month ago, I just thought they were new since they had the orange peel look. Are these all from Germany or is someone else making them? Unfortunately, a lot of them have fractures. They are really cool, and I have quite a few large ones. Thanks for looking! Maggie

post-221-1136265877_thumb.jpg

post-279-1226274062_thumb.jpg post-279-1226274054_thumb.jpg

Guest browse4antiques

Those are German sparklers for sure. Good thing you picked them up. They are usually quite heavy in as-mades, including fractures and moons, but I hope you got a few good ones in the batch. ... Roger

(my brother thinks they're ugly and cheap looking......isn't it funny how much difference there is in people's perceptions of beauty?)

i know what you mean, liz; once i got a batch i thought were really cool, and i picked out some of the best ones to send to orbboy one christmas. his reaction: "aren't they ugly?!"

and maggie....wow! you got some kind of dumb marble luck!

~chris

Well Chris, you just made me feel better! I froze my a** off looking at these (and I didn't look that hard) and I was bummed when I got home and saw all of the fractures. Now I don't feel like I blew my money. Liz, I kind of see what your brother means, I thought they were megas or something when I first got them home. Chris and Liz PM your addresses and I will send you something! Maggie

I know this is gonna sound really weird comin' from me... But, since these marbles aren't *terribly* expensive or *hysterical* (Ooops, I meant Historical)

If someone happen to have one that had an especially nasty surface on it, but looked great inside.... I wonder what Leroy or Buddy could do to make it sweet looking???

:rolleyes:

Guest browse4antiques

I believe that for the most part they are rather plain, and often they have significant as-made problems. But if you pick and choose, you can develop a collection of unusual and intricate ones that have very nice smooth surfaces. If I buy a batch of 30, which in some cases is quite inexpensive, I am only hoping to put one of them in my collection. ... Roger

spark3-full.jpg

I have a small handful of keeprs, mostly with either oxblood and or aventurine. They can be beautiful or just plain ugly. Here is a 3 color shooter with aven.. I don't have any of the beachball types and really only remember seeing a couple of them in groups on Ebay.

Gary

sparkler-copy.jpg

Chris you big fibber. I called the German Catseyes you sent me ugly. There is nothing ugly about any German Sparkler I have ever seen (except some of the surfaces) Remember those cream of the crops I sold on ebay some time ago. Wish I had pics of them still but they are gone. They all went to the same buyer in Florida (dianagail) I think her name was or Marbdog?. For some reason the name Dave rings a bell as well. Can't remember right now. I have a haul sitting in England right now, around 200 or so that I can't wait to get over there to see. That will have to wait for the summer though. Not like it not like summer up here right now. I as out this afternoon digging worms for my frogs and finding lots. For some reason it is an odd feeling digging and finding worms in Canada in January. Almost scary.

Cork

dang, it took you long enough! where you been?

dork...i was talking about the "cat's eyes" (as you call them) - roger showed them in his first picture and included them in the sparkler category, which made sense to me.

send em back if you still think they're ugly - i'm running low, and i think they're cool as lemonade! :P

I know this is gonna sound really weird comin' from me... But, since these marbles aren't *terribly* expensive or *hysterical* (Ooops, I meant Historical)

If someone happen to have one that had an especially nasty surface on it, but looked great inside.... I wonder what Leroy or Buddy could do to make it sweet looking???

:rolleyes:

I have done several of these and the surface cleans up very, very nice. I'm sure that either Buddy or myself or anyone that reconditions marbles can make them look very sweet without taking much from the surface. ----Leroy----