Causes of marbles being out of round? (continued from reconditioning thread)

Marbleized

Hi Everyone,  I just wanted to comment that the people on the list must be masters at the art of reconditioning marbles.  Leroy's pics of the marbles he's worked on look like new.  I was wondering if the reason some machine marbles are out-of-round is because someone was not quite an expert at this.  Or is it the nature of reconditioning where it nearly impossible to keep that perfectly round shape?  Or is it that the off-shaped marbles were rejects from the factory and found in dugs?  

8 hours ago, Marbleized said:

Hi Everyone,  I just wanted to comment that the people on the list must be masters at the art of reconditioning marbles.  Leroy's pics of the marbles he's worked on look like new.  I was wondering if the reason some machine marbles are out-of-round is because someone was not quite an expert at this.  Or is it the nature of reconditioning where it nearly impossible to keep that perfectly round shape?  Or is it that the off-shaped marbles were rejects from the factory and found in dugs?  

Most out-of-round marbles would have come from the factory that way and weren't reconditioned.  Probably different reasons for out-of-round.  Before I start ad-libbing, I probably should ask if you have any particular marbles in mind.   Antique German marbles would have different reasons for being out of round than modern Jabos would.  I have been under the impression that machine-made marbles were more likely to be round during the age when kids were playing a lot of marbles, so I suppose that's where I'm most curious if you're thinking of examples there. 

P.s., we lost Leroy in 2018 :(  

I'm so sorry to hear of Leroy's passing.  My apologies.  I was just wondering about why some marbles are out of round and wondered if the reconditioning process might be a cause.  Also, my message was written with machine mades in mind.  I have a few peltiers that are out of round.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Marbleized said:

I'm so sorry to hear of Leroy's passing.  My apologies.  I was just wondering about why some marbles are out of round and wondered if the reconditioning process might be a cause.  Also, my message was written with machine mades in mind.  I have a few peltiers that are out of round.  Thanks!

I'm going to send this question over to the main chat area.  I could hypothesize about Peltiers -- thinking about the cost-saving measures which they started adopting in the last half of the 30's -- but ???

As a starter I am against polishing machinemades. It will definitely not gain anything and will be a waisted effort. Handmades to a certain degree is ok if the marble has a thick clear case that will allow the polishing to save some of the marble. Having said that, after polishing the marble should be all round because of the machine taking the skin all around the marble evenly.

Just for the record, I agree with Sami, I’d never polish any machinemade marble nor would I advise else anyone to do so. I’ve yet to see a polish or buff that has improved the look of one, and you’ve ruined a perfectly good marble that was well loved by some child or children - it had history. 

As for handmades, some larger heavily cased (lots of clear) marbles can be polished to good effect, but it does take a skilled, knowledgeable polisher. Sadly Leroy was the best - he was one fine gentleman, full of marble knowledge, life and good humor.