back to basics

Berryb

I have a bunch of NLRs and Rainbos that I mostly know where to put, But there are some that I don't know which pile to put  in.  Most of these are pretty ho-hum but if I can get them assigned they may help with other IDs down the road. I may be way off base, in which case I'll start over from scratch. So if you have some thoughts about what they are and why you think so it will be a great help. Thanks

Bruce  

pelt4.jpg

pelt3.jpg

pelt1.jpg

pelt2.jpg

I'd say Rainbo on all.   Some in the first group tempt me to consider NLR (with the offset ribbons on the left two and the large number of ribbons and two colors on the top right) but with the thin ribbons and translucency of the base I'll stay with Rainbo. 

I could see someone saying MK on the top left or bottom right in the last group but again  with the translucent base visible, I'm sticking with Pelt and Rainbo there also.  

So base glass is the determining factor. I have been hammering away at these in books and on the 'net for quite a while and everything I read talked about ribbons and not base glass. For example the green one in the second group has clear ribbons (you can see all the way to the middle through them) and I thought to put it as an NLR, despite that it looks rainbo all the way,  because somewhere I read that clear ribbons were only NLR.  But base glass is a much simpler way to determine where they go. Thanks

Bruce  

Wait for a second opinion.  There are some distinct Christmas Trees and Ketchup & Mustards   which have some  translucence in the base, but the ribbon pattern reigns supreme there.  

There's a "tweener" zone where it's hard to decide whether the marbles fall on the NLR side or the Rainbo side.   Some don't like the name "tweener" so I don't jump to it easily -- I'll try to commit  to one or the other --  but sometimes tweener is the word which is needed.