help with terms from eBay

Like everyone else I pass some time looking at marbles on eBay, Here are some things I need help with translating.  DAS proceeds some marbles, also "sponsored"...what , if any do they infer? Also, are some names that are used to  refer to marbles for sale  just a person's own description, or are they bona-fid  names, I.E.:  Peltier's Ruby Bee? Christensen's ruby Bee/ marble king's ruby bee- These seem to be used for what I use to call my "golden dragon" which I now know aren't  what Peltier's Golden Dragon" really looks like ( & I keep looking for)  & there's Peltier's red angel, & bloody red marbles- & I've not found any descriptions of these so I can know them apart. And lastly, St, Mary's ghost, what makes a ghost marble & is there a real story behind it?  I wait with great interest your answers!!!    Bonnie

I don't know what specific marbles most of your terms refer to, but many names for marbles came from collectors not the manufacturers or even kids. While having a way to refer to individual marbles is handy there seem to be lots of names that are not agreed on by everyone. Then there is the added problem that many, if not most e-bay sellers (or marble sellers in general) are not marble geeks like us. They spend a few minutes with a book or worse, another seller and begin to mis-label marbles or mis-represent condition, not necessarily on purpose but because they don't know any better.

Another problem is marbles that were ignored just a few years ago are now considered cool or even valuable, and agreed upon names for color combinations or styles have not kept up with the hobby or the market. Many names will become known and widely used, many will fall by the wayside. Sorry about the long winded screed.

Bruce

DAS = Dave's Appalachian Swirls, which is Dave McCullough's current operation.  They're modern marbles in special investor runs, continuing a tradition that Dave started when he was at Jabo. 

Don't know about "sponsored".    Is that showing up on the DAS listings?  Then that could be the name of the group investing in the run. 

As to Ruby Bee and such, a lot of sellers see a catchy name and then wrongly apply it to their marbles.  Little rhyme or reason, buyer beware.  

@wvrons would be a good person to talk ghosts with us.  I have a vague idea involving the cloudy translucent glass -- ghostly right? -- but Ron has specifics.

16 hours ago, Berryb said:

I don't know what specific marbles most of your terms refer to, but many names for marbles came from collectors not the manufacturers or even kids. While having a way to refer to individual marbles is handy there seem to be lots of names that are not agreed on by everyone. Then there is the added problem that many, if not most e-bay sellers (or marble sellers in general) are not marble geeks like us. They spend a few minutes with a book or worse, another seller and begin to mis-label marbles or mis-represent condition, not necessarily on purpose but because they don't know any better.

Another problem is marbles that were ignored just a few years ago are now considered cool or even valuable, and agreed upon names for color combinations or styles have not kept up with the hobby or the market. Many names will become known and widely used, many will fall by the wayside. Sorry about the long winded screed.

Bruce

Not winded at all- informative - thanks, Bonnie

For me there is only one marble with ghost in the name. It was named about twelve years ago by a collector. He liked them and thought they needed a name. It is a 5/8 size Alley marble, blue base, a few different blue shades, and good amount of clear and or translucent stringy white and red to slightly orange swirl. Most of them were produced by Alley while he was at the St.Marys WV location, his last. The clear and or translucent weak milky white, looked to him some like a ghost or ghostly. 

People want their marble to have a name and think that will increase the value greatly. So a quick search on ebay puts all kinds of names and incorrect ideas in marble listings on ebay.  Ebay is not a place to learn marble names.  Do not believe many ebay marble listings. Know reliable ebay marble sellers.  Routine, steady, long time, good feeback ratings, or known collectors are likely reliable ebay marble sellers.

The Alley St.Marys Ghost is a common and easy to find Alley swirl. I don't have a picture of one, as they are common and lots of them. But it is a good sounding name and people like using it. So people have them for sale all the time now. Plus many other marbles that are not even close to the Alley St.Marys Ghost. I have gave probably a few hundred of them away. But I have also had more Alleys than many people. I still consider them to be a 25 cents to $2.00 marble, because there are so many of them. But because of the name people are grabbing them up. But it will take a few years, maybe a lot of years, to shorten the supply. I have never been to any marble show in 20 years that there was not a few to hundreds of them for sale. Before the name and after.

Sponsored is probably connected to newer marbles made at Jabo since 2008 and DAS or Sammys Mountain Marbles. Many of those marbles were made by money from people usually called investors. A group of people would pool money together to fund making 2000 or 1000lbs of marbles. With no guarantee of what they may end up with. At the end they owned and split the marbles up between them, depending on how much each one invested. A few people did invest enough for a complete run all by their self. Which could have been from $12000.00 to $20,000.00. What all colors and additives that were used affected the cost. Sponsored or investor may mean one person or six or over a dozen. I was a investor in around 75 to 100 special investor runs. If you were there and part of it, then you were called a investor. Sponsored is just another or different fancy name to get attention for sales.

It's great that you take the time to share your knowledge with we who are coming in at this late level. Right now I buy only what I covet, no matter what the name, but I also like knowing all I can, including names we  to give to marbles that have common traits. The grand descriptions & names sellers often give their marbles to sell are often entertaining &  easy to see through. But names come up , like Peltiers red angel- if its a specific style what makes it a red angel?   thanks, Bonnie

Yes, Red Angel is very specific.  

Here's are pictures of three colors of angels which Westcoast Dave posted in the gallery.  (If there are more colors, I am unaware.)

The custard base is very important.  And they have (at least) six ribbons.  Four yellow and two of the special color -- in your case red.