looking for Heaton style

bonniemarbles

I'm trying to get samples of key Heaton styles so I can sort them out with a little confidence. I've started with the simplest first- looking at the Heaton dig video & Stephen B's identification & descriptions, & finding named marbles from there. Now I'm trying to nail down what makes a Heaton stand out from other WV marbles by certain traits, IE, 'ears", circle & tail & less obvious things. Here are several I'd like for Y'all to critique. I'm pretty sure the green 12:00 is a circle & tail, but is there any length requirement for the tail, as this one is pretty long. (seems like a rather silly question, but you never know, as I just found an Ally flame needs 4 flames to be bonified, who knew) I got lucky, this marble also had the clip mark on the back, it's not V shaped as the examples I saw, but I assume they can very?    No. 11:00 is one long ribbon that wraps around the marble, same as the green one, is this a trait of Heaton? My center marble is busy, lots of action, I have 2 red with other colors that look very similar, all with wide swoopy,  bands- I feel this is a Heaton, perhaps either or both of the dark ones could be an Oyster or a Voodo marble?  What do you think?

The red-on-pink & the 4:00 could have "ears", Or the red bands could be sloppy circle & tail  This is a learning process, so if I'm all wet on any of this, lay it on me- no ego involved here.....

#47.jpg

#47.jpg

#47a.jpg

#47b.jpg

#47c.jpg

#47d.jpg

Sorry in advance for such a long post.

Your green one up top, first pic shows the Heaton ear well.

Heaton made swirls a few different ways. They made several like the Red Rose and Firecracker that have the loop and tail and clip on the back side. They made some with busier random patterns but traits can be picked out sometimes, and they made some with wispy ribbons, and some with wider fanning ribbons like the alley superman or similar (the fawns and ones like them). They also did the pattern with an ear and the vortex looking area where the color gets sucked down into the center of the marble in the middle of the ear shape.

I did this illustration of the Heaton Ear long before I ever got to dig there. Notice that it is sometimes a near perfect outline of an ear, sometimes just a general shape. Sometimes it has the vortex in the middle where the color goes deep.

DSCN5217.jpg

Then you have the end of the hairpin, the tight loop back on itself and sometimes back on itself again. Like the top left pic in this:

Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-2.jpg

Top left pic here:

Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-33.jpg

Hairpin:

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-43.

Bottom center pic on this one:

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-36.

Hairpins in these:

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-99.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-83.
Untitled-design-2.jpg
Untitled-design-4.jpg
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-4.j
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-5.j

Untitled-design-18.jpg

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-70.

Then you have the loop and tail and those usually have the clip of color on the plain side. You get an ear, a loop, a C, or a honey bun pattern on one side, a tail that continues on, and a blank side with a clip of color. The Red Roses are often like this, also the Firecrackers, Black Cherries, and several others like the green with purple tracer on white that is usually fractured. Here are some pics of this pattern:

Untitled-design-13.jpg
Untitled-design-10.jpg
DSCN4644.jpg
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-73.jpg
DSCN4643.jpg
Copy-of-Copy-of-Copy-of-Copy-of-Presenta
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-54.jpg
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-15.jpg
DSCN2884.jpg
DSCN2883.jpg
DSCN2880.jpg

And there is the spread out ribbon that reminds me of some St. Mary's Alleys like the superman:

Untitled-design-15.jpg
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-87.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-91.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-92.
Untitled-design-3.jpg
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-79.
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-78.jpg
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-3.j
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-10.jpg
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-13.jpg
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-41.

And the seemingly random pattern that can be busy. It resembles Ravenswood somewhat but not the same, coming back on itself, not having the uniformity to the curves that Ravenswoods often have, and the ribbon has varying widths all along whereas Ravenswood tends to not vary in width as quickly and drastically along the flow. 

Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-73.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-65.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-64.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-51.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-43.
Copy-of-Presentation-Untitled-Design-44.
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-12.jpg
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-10.jpg
Copy-of-Copy-of-Untitled-Design-38.jpg

I hope this helps with identifying Heatons, there are others still that I haven't described in this but I think this covers most of the Heatons you will find. Maybe I was able to convey to you what I see in them in my descriptions.

I shall be studying these pictures for mons.; they are great to refer to over & over, thank you for them & the information. I've posted pic. of the center marble- in taking these, already I have learned something new: what I thought was a loose pattern allover the marble, is in reality one ribbon winding back & forth all over the marble: the same with the red-on-pink one, which also has a large clip on it's back. If you look at them wrong, they just look like a busy , all over pattern- I have a couple of others I'll have to look closer at too.....thanks so much!

#48.jpg

#48a.jpg

#48b.jpg

#48c.jpg

#48d.jpg

#48e.jpg

I shall be studying these pictures for mons.; they are great to refer to over & over, thank you for them & the information. I've posted pic. of the center marble- in taking these, already I have learned something new: what I thought was a loose pattern allover the marble, is in reality one ribbon winding back & forth all over the marble: the same with the red-on-pink one, which also has a large clip on it's back. If you look at them wrong, they just look like a busy , all over pattern- I have a couple of others I'll have to look closer at too.....thanks so much!

2 minutes ago, bonniemarbles said:

I don't know why this post repeated itself, but this give me a chance to ask if this marble has a name?

No, it's not named. I like them though, I think that smoky color base glass was bought from Houze glass, I saw an old sale order from Houze to Heaton Agate for "smoke cullet" and so I would assume this would be it since I don't recall any other smoke colored glass from Heaton.  The ribbon winding all through the marble... that's what all WV swirls do. You might not see it because of the opaque glass, but they all are one stream all balled up into a marble.

I shall be studying these pictures for mons.; they are great to refer to over & over, thank you for them & the information.  Darn I thought I had something that would help me to id. Heatons, guess I haven't  looked at my swirls close enough, another bubble bursts....I wish I knew why I get the same pictures or  postings sometimes, what am I doing wrong when that happens?

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Rooster said:

Bumping this post because it's awesome! 

Deanna, go to the header "General Marble Glass Chat"  under  " Named Heaton Types" page 2, for a rundown on all the named Heaton types and pics thus far from Chuck S. - aka - ( cheese )