Something for Akro Friday?

Marbleized

I looked on all the marble sites I could find, but alas, I need help once again to ID this marble. The closest I could find to this was an Akro Ace patch. .62" with a creamsicle patch and a brownish tracer (?). It looks so delicious as the base is a syrupy white (no bubbles).Thanks for your help. 

Akro Ace? 2 .jpg

Akro Ace? 3.jpg

Akro Ace? 4.jpg

Akro Ace?.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marbleized said:

I just saw something like this on eBay. Sounds like it is a mossy patch.

Mossy refers to the milky "Ace type Base Glass"  yes an Akro "Moss Agate" Mossy patch  :thup:  Nice clean mib :thup:  !!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marbleized said:

Thanks for the confirmation. So Ace and Moss both refer to that type of base. Yes, it is pretty "mint". I may have gotten that from a jar purchase which surprised me.

Most people are referring to the same base when they Moss or Ace. 

I have an off-and-on crusade to remind people that Akro used Ace for a different kind of base.   

On 7/23/2021 at 8:24 PM, Marbleized said:

I'm curious as to what that difference might be, if you don't mind sharing. Thanks! Soap box opportunity. LOL! I'm all ears! :music-rocker-001:

This picture shows two different categories.  Moss Agate patches on top to the right of center.  Ace corkscrews on the bottom right.   So it shows that in one way that the Ace bases can look similar to the white-based moss agates.  But there are differences also.

The moss base is very smooth in consistency.   

The Ace base is a little more spongy and sometimes you might see a grain in it, like with an Acme Realer.  It's supposed to have an orange glow inside when held up to a light, like with the Acme Realer.   But I don't think it was consistent.  The base could be very dense, or it could be very wispy.   Too dense you and don't get enough light through for the glow.  Too wispy and you might lose the glow for a different reason. 

I don't think the Ace lasted long as a production item.  The Moss Agate lasted for years and years.   There were swirl and corkscrew versions, not just patches.

There really aren't that many clearly identified Aces floating around.   There are a lot of Moss Agates.  And some of the Moss Agates get called Aces.  

nwx1J5C.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Steph, From your photo, the way that the light shines on the two types of marbles are different. The whites of the Ace look more like skim milk and the Moss looks more like what I'd imagine bubbly sugar syrup would look like. I'll need to go dig through my Akros and compare them better. Thanks. Really beautiful set of marbles, btw!!!! 😍

There will be borderline mibs also as with any manufacturer, I've been over & over this subject myself & still it's one of my sticking points. Steph is right on the money, I guess if it were all uniform, laid out & exacting there would be no reason for discussion. A most excellent post !!

• Like 1