Marble collectors from Bulgaria?

Steph

I just saw someone in a facebook gaming group make a plea for people to be sensitive to the fact that there were Nigerian members in the group.  Apparently there had been a lot of talk about Nigerian scammers, which had led to a broad sense of disrespect toward Nigerians, which was sad for the Nigerian fans of the game.  

That got me wishing we could get some marble collecting perspective from Bulgarians which would somehow get us deeper into the marble history of that part of the world than we have been able to get so far with the presumably contemporary Bulgarian handmades.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akroorka said:

Great point Steph.

No disrespect meant on my other post about slingshot ammo. I did my edit and am glad for it.

All are welcome here with no disrespect ever, this much I know as fact.

Welcome--On!!

Oh gosh, I had no particular marble post in mind when I made my post! 

But thank you for being considerate.  

I’m confused, what does Bulgarian collectors have to do with Nigeria?

On a side-note talking about Africa. Are there any marbles that are or were known to be produced in Africa. I don’t know about sub Saharan Africa, but surely there were or are marbles produced in Northern Africa, like Egypt or Morocco, etc? 

Also, the only Eastern European marbles I’m aware of are Czech made bullet mold marbles and I believe those date post 1965 or so. 

• Like 1

Have something from East Europe ..the Czech Rupublic and 2 Bullet Mold....a bummer when i got these....Beads....🙄...

Its glass , ill keep em , think they are nice 

One day i will find the real Marbles 🤞

20211002_080701.jpg

20211002_080903.jpg

20211002_081253.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Have something from East Europe ..the Czech Rupublic and 2 Bullet Mold....a bummer when i got these....Beads....🙄...

Its glass , ill keep em , think they are nice 

One day i will find the real Marbles 🤞

20211002_080701.jpg

20211002_080903.jpg

20211002_081253.jpg

The big blue one is a paperweight 🤠👍

Started collecting these also 

I have a very special one 

For all mankind....God Bless us all 

16331557672012320065814619950431.jpg

17 hours ago, PittsburghMarbles said:

I’m confused, what does Bulgarian collectors have to do with Nigeria?

On a side-note talking about Africa. Are there any marbles that are or were known to be produced in Africa. I don’t know about sub Saharan Africa, but surely there were or are marbles produced in Northern Africa, like Egypt or Morocco, etc? 

Also, the only Eastern European marbles I’m aware of are Czech made bullet mold marbles and I believe those date post 1965 or so. 

Marbles from Africa?  That's another good question.  I can't remember if I've ever heard of them.  My first thought would be marbles made for Codd bottles.  For some reason that image pops to mind.

As to your first question,  in my Scrabble group people were speaking of something negative associated with Nigeria, and the group administrators were concerned about Nigerian members feeling stigma from that.

That made me think of how in our marble groups, we speak of something negative associated with Bulgaria.   And that got me to thinking about how Bulgarian collectors might feel after reading it.  And that got me to wishing we had some Bulgarian collectors.  

No real connection!  Just my wandering thoughts. :)  

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:54 AM, PittsburghMarbles said:

...On a side-note talking about Africa. Are there any marbles that are or were known to be produced in Africa. I don’t know about sub Saharan Africa, but surely there were or are marbles produced in Northern Africa, like Egypt or Morocco, etc? ...

I believe Germany exported glass trade beads to Africa

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

I believe Germany exported glass trade beads to Africa

I'm glad you mention this.  I thought about African beads and about them maybe not having been made in Africa, but couldn't remember any details about where they came from.

7 minutes ago, Steph said:

I'm glad you mention this.  I thought about African beads and about them maybe not having been made in Africa, but couldn't remember any details about where they came from.

Yes !!  I believe so, as far as I know Germany exported trade beads to the US & Africa and probably a couple other places as well, another good point for discussion, along w/ the Bulgarian mibs & Czech Bullet Molds !!

Looks like I found some more "Czech Bullet Mold Beads" like Joep has on Ebay today, they just listed them, here's the link and a pic, UK seller, I know who it is but can't remember his name right now ?? 

LINK :  https://www.ebay.com/itm/224633756051?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

image.thumb.png.4dbad2be3266aa3cf96ae763c11126fe.png