Marble Names

Brock

More like "renaming" already named marbles, including trying to change some actual factory given names, ridiculous !! ?? What a trip. As if the myriad of names wasn't already on overload   :computer-22:   A lot of new collectors "yes" but a few just looking for their 10 seconds of marble naming fame. Throw it at the wall & see if it stick's type mentality I guess ??   :dunno:

• Like 1

There seem to be a lot of new names. To be fair most are given to groups of dug marbles that the average collector will never even see, let alone own. There is a thing about named mibs and value/price. A named marble seems to sell for more than an unnamed one. For example I have a green and orange Pelt Rainbo If I was to call it say... Peas and Carrots I'm sure it would be more likely to sell and for more money than the green and orange Bo. Thanks

Bruce

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chad G. said:

More like "renaming" already named marbles, including trying to change some actual factory given names, ridiculous !! ?? What a trip. As if the myriad of names wasn't already on overload   :computer-22:   A lot of new collectors "yes" but a few just looking for their 10 seconds of marble naming fame. Throw it at the wall & see if it stick's type mentality I guess ??   :dunno:

Already named marbles should not be changed !!! , neverteless should we try , and i will try to give a name to marbles that are now listed as foreing or asian , not all... but a few that deserve it , to separate the men  from the boys and not trow them on the big pile and be done with them , a little extra effort to personalize and give some beautiful marbles an indentification they deserve , and if it sticks like the name "figure 8" as example then ....why not ?? What do we have to lose ??...think we all win and even have more fun collecting in the future when you welcome one of those vintage foreign or asian marbles in your collection and you can introduce the marble with a cool name 

Will be hard to let it stick , not for the fame 

Just for fun and to innovate a little 

Just a thought.... ✌😎👍

🤹‍♂️🥳🤯🎉😁🤞 Marble On 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mojo said:

Already named marbles should not be changed !!! , neverteless should we try , and i will try to give a name to marbles that are now listed as foreing or asian , not all... but a few that deserve it , to separate the men  from the boys and not trow them on the big pile and be done with them , a little extra effort to personalize and give some beautiful marbles an indentification they deserve , and if it sticks like the name "figure 8" as example then ....why not ?? What do we have to lose ??...think we all win and even have more fun collecting in the future when you welcome one of those vintage foreign or asian marbles in your collection and you can introduce the marble with a cool name 

Will be hard to let it stick , not for the fame 

Just for fun and to innovate a little 

Just a thought.... ✌😎👍

🤹‍♂️🥳🤯🎉😁🤞 Marble On 

Not speaking of any as yet "unnamed" mibs. Naming an unnamed type makes it more recognizable when trying to I.D.  The "Renaming"  "Changing of Factory Names" & "Reuse of Names"  all just add to the confusion & cause disputes. I already remember Sherbets, so in my mind at least it's already stuck.  :)

• Award 1

7 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Not speaking of any as yet "unnamed" mibs. Naming an unnamed type makes it more recognizable when trying to I.D.  The "Renaming"  "Changing of Factory Names" & "Reuse of Names"  all just add to the confusion & cause disputes. I already remember Sherbets, so in my mind at least it's already stuck.  :)

Amen to that Brother 😎👍

I used to resist the new names.   When I first started posting here, the forum leaders seemed against making up names without a very good reason, and there was rarely seen to be a good reason.  I think the Peltier Angel and Citrus names may have been relatively new at the time.  They were well-loved but they were  exceptions. 

Then at AAM, the stigma against naming marbles seemed to have disappeared.  Seemed some power players were involved in introducing a lot of new names   I was in the surprisingly comfortable position of having to deal with the reality of an explosion of names but with no pressure to learn the names.  Since I didn't post at AAM  I didn't have much chance to learn the names, and so the pressure of dealing with the whole subject was off.  

P.s., I actually don't know when the Angel and Citrus names were adopted.  Just a vague sense that back in 2005 or 2006 there was something exotic about the names.  An excitement that felt new-ish.  Might be fun to get some history on when the now-established names were introduced into the lingo.  

The Vitro Elite had been relatively newly named when I came onto the scene, and it seemed the name was catching on.  The Elites were especially colorful Tri-Lites, but the Tri-Lite name wasn't well-known at the time.  The Elite name caught on well enough to be featured in an article in the WVMCC newsletter in 2003.  Then the Vitro company name became better known and the Elite name fell into disuse. 

• Like 1

Without a question internet made a huge impact on new names through eBay, message boards and all other platforms, when people started communicating in real time. You can check some early running rabbit auctions and even the all time great name Peltier “Tiger” wasn’t used then.

• Like 1