does an indian have to be black? If purple banded opaque? thanks

Jeremysvt

Yes. Sometimes an Indian can look black, but back-lit, it can be purple transparent, like Chad says. I also have one that`s blue, another that`s green, and one that is a sort of olive-gold. I think people sometimes don`t backlight their Indians - I love it when those people are sellers. That`s how I got most of mine!

• Award 1

x2, Maglite Indian i.e. banded transparent

This ones a green Maglite Indian w/ a ghost core (banded transparent)

image.png.3af87247e42ed8ee48f4e720b38bad6f.png

image.png.13fbefad65f22b873a34898233c24c92.png

I thought it was opaque like the rest of the bunch until I ran a bright light underneath.

image.png.c153a52479bed11a5e425085fb3ce5ba.png

image.thumb.png.719ededccf7d559adcfe4528d40a24d4.png

Good question, but I remember for years an Indian was considered opaque “black glass” with the almost painted like glass seemingly on top, some were not opaque but the color palette always was similar. The banded opaque was always white with typical red glass on surface, sometimes green or blue mixed in …granted I have tons examples of each that defy what was always once said, but the color palette for Indians to me is pretty recognizable whether opaque or semi. I would love to see how these were marketed back in the day! 

A black opaque Indian by definition is a banded opaque. Indian, I believe is a collectors name, IMO. Opaque is opaque to me all 3 of Ron's examples are banded opaque's, just my opinion .......  :icon_popcorn:  ......   Needs more butter !!

• Like 1