Polish ? Or not ?

Fire1981

I snagged as many beat to cr@p by 8 year old kids hand mades I could on EBay 20 years ago. I’m going to show the marbles I decided not to have polished followed by the ones I did. So….? Polish or don’t. This is not a question about the monetary value of the marble. It’s about being able to see the matrix. That’s it 🔥

BF14F030-7A64-4AA7-A9BB-70E33498802E.jpeg

AA215C42-7F46-4C75-9FF0-CE2FD268EC75.jpeg

46953A07-4E5A-44B6-8AEE-278DDDA2EFDB.jpeg

2A8E316C-30B0-4B74-A043-56CCBFD3DD39.jpeg

DE2129F4-8DC3-4CB2-A400-C9CD3E37C677.jpeg

The frosted looking ones have probably been through a rock tumbler. If you want to see what's inside the sulphides or any of the handmades you have, try submerging them in a glass of water and taking a look @ them while submerged.

P.S. Please don't try to polish any marbles in a rock tumbler . They'll have a good chance of hitting one another causing further fractures or completely demolishing them,  and you'll be stuck w/ that frosty non see through surface that'll require another professional polishing to remove anyway. Hre is a link to the only person left I know that "might" polish your marbles, his name is Mathew, he has several vids you can watch before ya try and contact him. "Good Luck James""

LINK ::  https://www.youtube.com/c/MarbleGems

Email ::  image.png.f70704fcafc72c8e1dd78bce7df9d2ad.png

On 11/3/2022 at 10:41 PM, Chad G. said:

The frosted looking ones have probably been through a rock tumbler. If you want to see what's inside the sulphides or any of the handmades you have, try submerging them in a glass of water and taking a look @ them while submerged.

P.S. Please don't try to polish any marbles in a rock tumbler . They'll have a good chance of hitting one another causing further fractures or completely demolishing them,  and you'll be stuck w/ that frosty non see through surface that'll require another professional polishing to remove anyway. Hre is a link to the only person left I know that "might" polish your marbles, his name is Mathew, he has several vids you can watch before ya try and contact him. "Good Luck James""

LINK ::  https://www.youtube.com/c/MarbleGems

Email ::  image.png.f70704fcafc72c8e1dd78bce7df9d2ad.png

I sent Matthew an email this morning inquiring about marble polishing.  The last YouTube video he made was over a year ago, but his YouTube channel is like that: a video here and a video there.  I'll let y'all know what I hear back from him.

Matthew wrote back rather quickly...

"Thank you for reaching out and contacting me.  I still do some marble polishing, but on a very limited basis.  Right now, I am in the middle of refurbishing an old house we are going to move into, so I won't be doing any marble work until later this Spring.  Will you reach out to me again around April?

"Generally I charge around $25 for big marbles that are 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter."  

So anyone with marbles to polish gather them up and be ready for Spring!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rockgardenplants said:

Matthew wrote back rather quickly...

"Thank you for reaching out and contacting me.  I still do some marble polishing, but on a very limited basis.  Right now, I am in the middle of refurbishing an old house we are going to move into, so I won't be doing any marble work until later this Spring.  Will you reach out to me again around April?

"Generally I charge around $25 for big marbles that are 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter."  

So anyone with marbles to polish gather them up and be ready for Spring!

$25.00 was the going rate a years back for 1.5" and up, so it's lookin like nothing has changed. There were a few polishers I knew and they all charged the same. Glad Mathew responded so quick @ least you know what's up now  :thup:  I'll keep lookin since he isn't gonna get started till spring.

• Like 1