Trying to nail down maker of these custard glass marbles? Vitro?

VibesFromAVeterinaryNurse

I believe them to be Vitro given that they were used in Art Fisher's jewel trays (see the one I just bought), but just wondering if anyone else made them? They are uranium glass like other Vitro and Akro agate items of the same color and time period (like these table lighters I have), relatively spicy with the Geiger counter so definitely pre-50's. Any ideas?

CustardMarbles2.jpg

CustardMarbles1.jpg

CustardMarbles5.jpg

CustardMarbles7.jpg

CustardMarbles8.jpg

CustardMarbles9.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

CustardMarbles10.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Ravenswood had some nice glowy solid-colored marbles ... but the Ravenswoods would be swirls.   So if you are seeing a patch-like pattern with two clear seams, then rule my thought out.  But if you're seeing a swirl pattern in the marble, then think about Ravenswood. 

I answered you on AAM. These marbles which glow will not register anything on a Geiger counter. They do not give off any radiation. They will not harm you while solid. If you melt them and breath the fumes, they can cause problems.  You cannot date marbles by if the glow or not. Machine made marbles made last month can glow. Old or new marbles can and do glow. Vitro used more non glowing marbles in the jewel trays than they did marbles that glow. Common game marbles. 

19 hours ago, wvrons said:

I answered you on AAM. These marbles which glow will not register anything on a Geiger counter. They do not give off any radiation. They will not harm you while solid. If you melt them and breath the fumes, they can cause problems.  You cannot date marbles by if the glow or not. Machine made marbles made last month can glow. Old or new marbles can and do glow. Vitro used more non glowing marbles in the jewel trays than they did marbles that glow. Common game marbles. 

I beg to differ, they are in fact spicy. I literally just took this reading of my collection of these custard glass marbles sitting in a glass cup. Not as hot as my radium pocketwatches, but far above background. 4000cpm or 9.9uSV/hr of mostly Alpha. Background here is 19-20CPM. These are not made with depleted uranium oxide like modern UV marbles. I also never said anything about it harming me? I collect vintage radioactive items, I'm well familiar with Alpha, Beta, and Gamma radiation and the differences. I also know Fisher made trays with other types, I was specifically asking about the custard glass marbles and the manufacturer.

CustardMarbles11.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/18/2022 at 6:40 AM, Da Roberto said:

Yes these ashtrays should be Vitro

Oh, if you move the Geiger counter, it should be unsettling.....

They're made with uranium oxide, and it's contained within the glass matrix. Almost all Alpha radiation, which drops off after a few inches and cannot penetrate clothes, skin, etc. I have much spicier things than these. 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Vidrio made the electric cigarette lighters you have IMO, they made many other glass products, gear shift knobs, electric fan bases, lamp stands etc. but don't believe they made marbles  ??

LINK ::  https://www.afcaforum.com/forum1/52516.html

image.png.d3a71518ad04e973d055d757de768d31.png

image.png.e37480eb3c6017d3320b2ddea75040e2.png

Interesting! Trying to track down the maker has been tough.