Wire pulls and slags?

Melissa

18 minutes ago, William said:

A couple of Slags, but mostly WVS IMO....might be a couple of Veligglass, little tough to tell without more images individually...the two I like are dead Center next to each other 😊

Are just the two in the middle considered slags then?  Are the rest wire pulls?  I'm trying to learn the difference.  :)

Ah the old slag vs. swirl vs. wire pull conversation.

Slag’s have one opaque color, white. The base glass will be only one color as well, always transparent, from clear to electric yellow and everything in between. Some will be well filled with white some will be sparse. The white in a slag will follow little rhyme or reason, showing fine to thick lines and action with the white. 

Any marble that looks like a slag to you but has more than one opaque color or more than one transparent color is a swirl automatically.
Swirls may show up often with only one opaque color, white. Many swirls will show more conformity to the white swirl of glass but many are all over the place. Experience is the only lesson as far as culling them from the slag’s.

Wire pulls can have more than one color involved they also will have a transparent base glass. The opaque stream of glass in a wire pull can be followed throughout the marble as one very long, generally unbroken line/stream of glass. Some are easy to follow and some are very difficult, it can be a fun thing to try.

I reposted your image and added some text. This is where it gets fun. There are two slag’s that I see based on my experience, the rest are swirls imho. The green one in between the slag’s may be a wire pull but I am leaning towards swirl on that one.
All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.
Marble—On!!

Slag vs Swirl.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Slag’s have one opaque color, white. The base glass will be only one color as well, always transparent, from clear to electric yellow and everything in between. Some will be well filled with white some will be sparse. The white in a slag will follow little rhyme or reason, showing fine to thick lines and action with the white. 

Any marble that looks like a slag to you but has more than one opaque color or more than one transparent color is a swirl automatically.
Swirls may show up often with only one opaque color, white. Many swirls will show more conformity to the white swirl of glass but many are all over the place. Experience is the only lesson as far as culling them from the slag’s.

Wire pulls can have more than one color involved they also will have a transparent base glass. The opaque stream of glass in a wire pull can be followed throughout the marble as one very long, generally unbroken line/stream of glass. Some are easy to follow and some are very difficult, it can be a fun thing to try.

I reposted your image and added some text. This is where it gets fun. There are two slag’s that I see based on my experience, the rest are swirls imho. The green one in between the slag’s may be a wire pull but I am leaning towards swirl on that one.
Marble—On!!

Slag vs Swirl.jpg

Just what I was thinking Art...I just wasn't too sure on that red one at the top. More images on that one would be great. I still think the green one in between the red ones is some form of WVS. The middle green one and the top right marble at 2o'clock are possible Veligglass IMO. WVS identification can  be such fun 😐...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, akroorka said:

Marble—On!!

Slag vs Swirl.jpg

Super helpful!  Thank you!!

6 hours ago, William said:

Just what I was thinking Art...I just wasn't too sure on that red one at the top. More images on that one would be great. I still think the green one in between the red ones is some form of WVS. The middle green one and the top right marble at 2o'clock are possible Veligglass IMO. WVS identification can  be such fun 😐...

What is WVS stand for?

20 hours ago, akroorka said:

Marble—On!!

Slag vs Swirl.jpg

Super helpful!  Thank you!!