Paperweight marbles?

chocomibs

I've seen a lot of antique paperweights and some are rounded like a marble and some are flat like this. Pictures usually are top down so I can't tell. If this is newer or an antique/vintage one. I actually don't know if they are supposed to be marbles or paperweights. They're in a book I have too

Here's a link to some authentic antique paperweights, foreign and others, hopefully this will help a bit ?? I know what a paperweight is and what millefiori is and that's about the extent of it  :dunno: This link has videos, pictures, antique as well as contemporary examples & explanations from the actual artists as to how they were constructed along w/ some for sale.

LINK ::  https://www.thepaperweightcollection.com/products/extremely-rare-antique-clichy-newel-post-finial-with-complex-concentric-millefiori

• Like 1

There _ARE_ paperweight marbles -- looking like paperweight construction spherical and not flat.  

But I'm guessing that was supposed to be a paperweight. 

And I can't remember right now what the paperweight marbles look like.

And I gotta run to work now.  

Could be a fun topic.

I agree, cool topic. Paperweights are what brought me to the marble forum. My grandma I inherited glass marbles from mainly collected paperweights. According to the description in that link, that item isn't even a paperweight, although it does feature the aforementioned millefiori. It looks like it was originally a finial for a lamp or staircase.

This Millefiori you have pictured does have alot going on in there...rather nice one IMO....I've seen these things go for various prices in antique stores I have been in, they can get rather spendy if you come across the "good" ones. 

Don't know a ton about them myself, only what I have read, seen, or been told. If ya like em', collect em'! 😊