Ceramic marbles

hdesousa

Mick Turton posted these marbles on a facebook antique marbles group earlier today. I'm posting the picture here with his permission, in the hope of getting him some good, verifiable  information.  Mick has been 'putting away' marbles in his antiques business for over 30 years but has no clue of what he's accumulated.  Some of these marbles are interesting enough to discuss here, without risking anyone deleting posts with key references to the source of information. 

No photo description available.

• Like 1

One of the most interesting marbles here is the one on the far left.  A variegated clay marble - possibly a precursor to what we call "line crockery" or jasper - that is probably more accurately described as agateware.  Here's how agateware is made - in this case for a tea pot, but you can imagine marbles being formed from the layers of colored clay.  Start at about 3 minutes:

• Award 1

The "spotted dick" marbles have been discussed here, over 12 years ago.  Unfortunately, many of the links no longer work:

I've picked them up as surface finds at a razed ceramic marble factory in Thuringia, Germany but have seen large groups come out of England, and was told they were also manufactured there.  There are at least two ways the spots were applied - with a paintbrush and also with small lumps of black clay pressed into the surface of the marble before the body dried.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

Nice video. I do like variegated clays and Spotted Dicks are interesting too but I'm honing in on what appears to be the brown salt glazed one top center - it's a nice looking example.

Yes, that is an intriguing marble.  I asked for more pics and will post them below.  He's got several of them.  Might just be surface dirt that makes them look special.  I'll request more pics after a soapy bubble bath.

There's like, zillions of what they typically call 'Foil clay' marbles in Germany, France and England. I have a 100 or so, a few different than others. However, never actually collected them as they are like free junk inside purchases of miscellaneous group marble sales in Ebay from these countries. 

I guess one could try collecting different styles or variation, big and small  as I recall, can get up to an inch or so, but I've never seen anybody do it. Not that I look for them but come up often enough so, I mean, I've never seen a collection of the different types.

1 hour ago, romanoak said:

I really like the "agateware" I have found examples from 5/8" to carpet bowls 3-1/4" most are 2 color but have some 4 color.

Those are great variegated examples - excellent colors, but I'll take the coils please. 🙂

Super nice case, Bill, every one of them - thanks for sharing!