5/8 not sure

Fire1981

Akro error. But I cannot tell you what Akro glass feels like. It should feel like glass. But many people mistake stone marbles for glass marbles.  Identification by feel of the glass is totally new to me. I learn something every day. I have plenty of questions about the feel of glass. I worked at Fenton Art Glass in 1971. I have been watching and helping make glass marbles for over twenty years. Talked with many machine made marble company owners and employee's. But no one, not a single one of them ever told me they could identify glass by feel. 

• Haha 1

I would like to be there to witness a few blind in hand test.  I have lots of different marbles with white specks on them.  What does Akro glass feel like ?  I have lots of Vacor marbles that has no orange peel at all. I have stone marbles that have no facets.  Put a Jolly Roger Akro which most or all have orange peel in one hand and a Vacor with orange peel in the other hand, the same size and separate them correct over and over.  Can you separate a Alley Jolly Green Giant with the same size Jabo. Both can have the "soft glass" with the many white specks ? I understand that most anyone can feel orange peel, etc. But I don't understand what Akro glass feels like ??? 

I think maybe it’s like having a handmade in hand and a machine made in the other. So I’m looking at the color combo and the flow of the surface glass and it’s texture. Some opaque marbles feel like chalk to me🔥

RAR

I can separate old handmades and machine mades blind.  If you are blindfolded, you are not looking at colors or the flow of the surface glass. The surface of good quality marbles should all be smooth. A texture would be mean a problem for most marble makers. Most chalk is not as smooth as most glass of any type.  Most quality mint range Akro, CAC, Peltier, NLR, etc. even Vacors. should feel slick or oily. Most mint marbles may feel a lot different than the same near mint marble.  But it is not because of the glass, it is because there is a problem with the marble. Do Akros feel like chalk ? Same question. What does a Akro feel like ? How does ten different Akro marbles feel different than ten different Peltier marbles ?  Can you feel the difference between Akro marble glass and Akroware glass ? Can you feel the difference between Akro and Houze glass ?  

I can’t differentiate 100% of the time. I just chase the marble around in my fingers and see if the surface texture makes a difference in the ID. Kinda like big European Sparklers. There just something about the surface glass that would separate them from a greasy contemporary of the same size. 🔥

RAR

On 3/31/2023 at 8:03 PM, wvrons said:

Akro error. But I cannot tell you what Akro glass feels like.

Ok Ron and Fire--"I wish that I had it in hand"--:wub:.

Does that make it better?

Slow down and take a deep breath--glass does feel like glass--no matter the maker.

( I may be able to feel an Akro though---:character-smileys-238:)

Marble--On!!