Railroad Marble, Yes...But Handmade and Worth $500/each?

Madcap Laughs

Don't know where else to post this. The ad speaks for itself. Been going rounds with this guy who says he deals with "higher end" customers who would know the true value of these marbles. For final clarification, would someone please not mind explaining about these marbles, since the multiple sources I have given him are all wrong and his "records" show their worth because they are "antique" and "handmade". He's saying the "marks" on it are from when the person made them.

TIA

Screenshot_20230823_143815_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230823_143836_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230823_152130_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230823_143919_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230823_143946_Facebook.jpg

• Wow 1

15 minutes ago, Madcap Laughs said:

Don't know where else to post this.

You did find the right place—thanks for showing up and asking—keep the posts coming!
We have been down this road before. 
These are not collectable. 
There have been many speculations as to the origin of the so called “train track marbles”.
The most common explanation is that they were intended to go to a factory that produced “fiberglass”. 
There were many marbles---millions upon millions that were made for the explicit use of manufacturing in a variety of ways from polishing steel--etc from foundries to to use in the manufacture of fiberglass. 
The tinkle that you hear when you shake a can of spray paint is a good example.
Marble—On my friend and keep coming back.

• Care 1

Its ballast.

Any time you hear someone pitching a marble with a grand story and glorious proclamations of their rarity/value - know one thing:  

"A good marble doesn't need a story to sell itself".

But a shyster/liar will feel compelled to invent a story.

Once you see the story coming - walk away.   Its a waste of life.

• Like 2

Oh, no intent to buy here. Just trying to gather as much info as I can. Guy says I would not know about THIS kind of marble bc he only deals with "high end" clients. Haha. Look at his MARKETPLACE profile where he is selling it lol and he deals in sports cards, overpriced Murano glass and this one mib. Thank you for the advice. Some story! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madcap Laughs said:

Oh, no intent to buy here. Just trying to gather as much info as I can. Guy says I would not know about THIS kind of marble bc he only deals with "high end" clients. Haha. Look at his MARKETPLACE profile where he is selling it lol and he deals in sports cards, overpriced Murano glass and this one mib. Thank you for the advice. Some story! 

This link shows and explains what railroad marbles are about since 1942 and now: Fiberglass manufacture, Owens-Corning, Toledo, Ohio. Millions of carefully inspected glass marbles ready for remelting and forming into glass filaments. A single marble can be drawn into a continuous filament so fine that it could reach from New York to Philadelphia. More than one hundred filaments must be drawn together to make the finest workable strand - LOC's Public Domain Archive Public Domain Search (getarchive.net)

• Award 1
  • Care 1