Time to sort

akroorka

It was actually raining today so I took some time to sort through some recent purchases.
Take your time—Winter is coming—:wub:.
I am sure that you can tell my fave—the Akro yellow Ox patch---a pretty hard find—for me at least.
The three whites in a row are all old hand-made. There were some very similar clays that were included with this bunch—Watch for these—they do resemble machine made game marbles—just a tad out of round for the most part.
The bigger clay at the top—I cannot remember—either I was warned about them or at the very least informed—:computer-22:.
The top left is a Vitro “Cosmic Rainbow” the one to the lower left of it—I do not know—a WVS for sure is all that I can say.
Yep-- a Popeye showed up in the mix as well as a nice Vitro to the left of it.
The two far left are Vitro Cats in GB Packers colors—after a 17 point comeback this week-end—who can blame me---😁
Funny what you can find when you really look—take your time and collect—these all came with pouches that I bid for with the exception of the yellow ox patch—the rest are all a bonus.
Put your specs on, use a nice light and take your time!!
I know that Fire does-follow his example--just take your time!!!
If you need any further images—just ask---
I just love this stuff!!—Just love it!!
Marble—On!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 4

Nice group, Art. Good Vitros and the red/orange on that helmet really is bright. That big clay looks like an Akron Roller to me. The "roll marks" look a little different and it looks like it has "20" written on it in marker or something?

• Like 1

I think Akron Rollers were made by American Marble & Toy Co. They rolled clay marbles in some pigments to add color, usually blue/purple and/or red.

image.png.7aa749eccf630123da8365816c4a7876.png

Here is a large one Ron posted but they are found in a whole range of sizes.

DSC01121.JPG.d5c52aaf0bce51be31592d42a8d

Something seems off with the "roll marks" on the one Art posted though. They are unusually dark and sort of look like they were drawn on but . . .?

• Award 1

7 hours ago, Ric said:

I think Akron Rollers were made by American Marble & Toy Co. They rolled clay marbles in some pigments to add color, usually blue/purple and/or red.

image.png.7aa749eccf630123da8365816c4a7876.png

Here is a large one Ron posted but they are found in a whole range of sizes.

DSC01121.JPG.d5c52aaf0bce51be31592d42a8d

Something seems off with the "roll marks" on the one Art posted though. They are unusually dark and sort of look like they were drawn on but . . .?

I am not sure those are: 

p9280009.jpg

Link: American Toy Marble Museum | Homeschoolers' Adventures (wordpress.com)

All appear to have been glazed, especially with more white than other colors.

• Award 1

2 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

I am not sure those are:

Those are some nice AT&M Co. marbles you posted, Jeff, but as far as I know they are not referred to as Akron Rollers and we are are talking about different beasts. The marble Art posted is earthenware, low temperature fire, I think. AFAIK, the ones you posted are stoneware and are fired at a higher temperature. Here is a great photo of some dandies that Hansel posted about 10 years ago - I do not believe these patterns are "rolled" on.

post-358-0-01926000-1388538272.jpg

• Award 1

57 minutes ago, akroorka said:

I am posting this one in the ID section--tell me what you think--

Thanks and--

Marble--On!!

Ha, ha! you misquoted me "I appear to have been glazed" Ha, ha!

Yeah, I know that Hansel has shared quite a few varieties of clay or porcelain marbles over many years. Probably has the best collection vs any of us. I have some too but not the interest he does. 

If it's any consolation those Photos of Micheal's presumably 'dug-up' on site  American Marble & Toy Co. marbles is the first and only time I've ever seen them in an online photograph. . And, that is also just today once I googled and hit the article it's in.

Regardless, I do not have any earthenware rolled-in paint like you are pointing out but I think I've seen those multi-colored types in Germany more than in the US. Except, heck, it's been about 20 years since I paid any attention to them, sooo,,. .  That was why I decided to google em up. ;)