Flinties?

Melissa

12 minutes ago, boris64 said:

Flinties Color has lots to do with it being akro and  they are semi opaque. Yours look transparent or even clear.

So then are you saying that the fish eye is not specific to Akro since mine have fish eyes?

The answer to your question is I don’t know. I never thought or researched fish eyes in marbles. But what i do know is  flintiest have an orange glow when back lit , they come in green blue brown yellow and red, semi opaque glass.some ,not all have 2 clear spots that resemble fish eyes. From your pics : clear or transparent glass,Vaseline type color, and what appear to be clear hole or eyes. Not sure if there are one or 2 eyes.  That being said from your example ( small sample size) the fact point to fish eyes are not a trait of akro only.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Melissa said:

I’m so confused by my translucent yellow ones with the fish eyes. 

You will get it sooner or later, it is nothing to fret about. We have all been there and done that.

Not all marbles can be Identified--plain and simple.

I appreciate your tenacity for sure.

Marble--On!!

• Thanks 1

@Melissa I have seen this type in hand before and remember how interesting they were. I also remember thinking that they were not Akro. I have seen other non-Akro marbles with similar construction too.

• Award 1
  • Thanks 1

The fish eye in the flintie is a result of the translucent glass in the center being pinched at the poles where the cutter squeezed the ingot and you can see a bit of what's inside. Break a flintie open and you can see the different glass inside. I've seen flinties in white, tan, green, peach, blue, red, purple, yellow, black, and maybe other colors. But the inside is a translucent maybe opal type glass. To resemble flint, which often has a slight translucence as well. Here is a big flintie broken in half to see the inside (dug at Akro).

DSCN7223.jpg

• Award 2
  • Thanks 1