What happened here?

Airducked

yes. These are called "Cold Rolls". Either the gob of molten glass, the spiral cork screw rollers, or a combo of both might have been slightly cooler and the glass simply wrinkled and folded instead of incorporating itself into a smooth surfaced sphere. They can be kinda cool since no two are ever alike. It also looks like part of it is a 'drizzly tail' due to the same situation. 

• Thanks 1

That's a drizzle. Long strings of glass get pulled away from the gobs of glass when workers make adjustments or remove rocks and things like that, then they fall on the rollers and get picked up by the hot gobs or fall back onto the gob and don't get smoothed out. I wish I could post a video, I took one where this was happening at DAS when the orifice on the tank got clogged.

• Wow 2
  • Award 1

17 hours ago, cheese said:

That's a drizzle. Long strings of glass get pulled away from the gobs of glass when workers make adjustments or remove rocks and things like that, then they fall on the rollers and get picked up by the hot gobs or fall back onto the gob and don't get smoothed out. I wish I could post a video, I took one where this was happening at DAS when the orifice on the tank got clogged.

I wish you could send a video too!! I would love to see it!