Oxblood Question

I’m sorry if this is a dumb question. I really don’t know the answer. Was the oxblood found in marbles done on purpose, or was it a fluke in the manufacturing process?  I’m mostly talking about vintage since I know jabo intentionally made oxblood marbles. 

Melissa , I hope I can do this but I don't see why not. I also have been studying OX blood in marbles and while doing a web search I came across a thread on this site in Step's Study Hall. The thread is by Richsantaclause on Dec 22, 2010. I think it's just Titled Oxblood. Pretty cool

Melissa, There is also a really good video with Stephen Bahr talking about Oxbood and Aventurine. This is just some of the stuff I've found in my research. I do have to say that Step's Study Hall is an awesome place to find info.  

2 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

Who made the first Machine made Oxblood? Akro,CAC or MFC 🔥

RAR

Martin F. Christensen got his recipe for oxblood from James Leighton. 

Akro then got the oxblood recipe from a dishonest MFC employee.  

I'm not aware that CAC had oxblood. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 12:34 AM, Fire1981 said:

OK ! I thought it was the other way around. C.J Fieldler had the formula at Akro and the MFC stole it from him. 🔥

RAR

1903 for MFC.   

Martin Christensen's 1899 sphere making design was revolutionary.    He used it first with ball bearings and made a fortune off that. Then he moved to marbles.  He got Leighton to teach him about working with glass. 

1914 for Akro.   

Before 1914, Akro was a jobberer.  They bought MFC marbles and packaged them up pretty for sale. 

Then the embezzler Horace Hill stole MFC's glass formulas, machine designs and client list.  He left MFC for Akro.  He tweaked the machine designs enough to get a patent for a "new" design so that Akro could legally start production.   And that is how Akro got into the marble-making business. 

• Like 1
  • Award 1