Master Shooters

Steph

There's been some debate over large-sized Master's. I have no idea what the consensus opinion is on how big they got, or how common big ones were. Or what styles big ones were found in.

I would like to hear more about that.

I would guess that my collecting experience with Masters is a good sampling (and assuming my memory is reasonably intact), then 5/8ths to 11/16ths is probably >99% of the sample. 7/8ths to 1" falls in the remaing one percent or less which is to say pretty unusual. I've only seen the larger sizes in transparent examples.

To get a more complete answer you need to hear from Roger (Sword44), Dani and Galen. Now that I think of it there was an earlir thread, if you can find it, where Roger gave a good synopsis of MM colors and sizes.

John

Thanks for your numbers, John, and I'll try to find that thread.

What got me thinking about it today was the big 'un in n2marbles' 1933 world's fair bag. I was just looking at it, enjoying the original packaging, when wham all of a sudden I realized I was staring at a shooter.

I never noticed it before!

John, you mean to tell me I never showed you a picture of my one inch master's ?

I have a few (hahaha) and even have some yellow one inch that are loaded with aventurine.

Red, green and a tiger eye in one inch also.

deadly !

I have some peewee's, and a couple with purple and a few with pink.

Most folks think the red are the hardest to find.

Personally, the pinks and purple's are the most rare for my money.

I knew I'd catch grief :D And Bo, how could I ever leave you out of my list of knowledgeable Masters collectors??? Fiftey lashes and you'd better send me some of those beauties so I don't ever make that mistake again. LOLOL

Eliabeth those are sweeeeeeet!! (If you ever need to sell/trade them to put gas in that fancy car please pm me!!!!!)

Dani Despite your advanced age and declining mental condition, you know my collection better than I do. LOL Which doesn't say much for me and my robust intellect. (who is this guy anyhow?) I need to spend some serious time going through it. My shoe box collection system is the pits.

Roger (SWORD44) is around and I left him a message so maybe we'll hear from him too.

Dani How many 1 inchers do I have???? LOLOL

John :D

Nice thread. But then, any thread with Master Marbles is a good thread, IMHO.

Regarding Steph's Q -

I haven't seen any Masters larger than one inch. But I'd like to!

I agree with John's size percentages, the only addition to the 1% being 17/32 and smaller marbles. I have a 17/32 Sunburst but haven't ever seen a classic peewee Master (1/2 inch or under) excepting clearies.

Elizabeth, those are luscious!

Uh, Bo.... a yellow 1" with aventurine and a 1" Tigereye? And true peewee (still a theory for me) Sunbursts? And another thing.... you don't mean that you've seen (or own!) Masters with either pink or purple base glass, do you? Filaments, yes, and I'd guess you're right about those filament colors being the most rare. I think that the deep Master red is most rare in base glass, unless of course you have <gasp> pink or purple base glass - do you, do you? If so, can you post pictures? Please don't make me start whining.

Roger

Sword44

For fun and info and because it's just so cool, here's a web-friendly size copy of the pic Steve (n2marbles) posted of his world's fair bag with the shooter dwarfing the other marbles. He said I could use it for the thread. Ain't it kewl! And big! Steve, is that a sunburst?

post-279-1189441206_thumb.jpg

Is this the post you had in mind, The Master Marble/glass Show And Info Thread?

Did you happen to notice the shooter in n2marbles' bag? Not a clearie. Maybe a Sunburst, maybe not, but definitely not a clearie. The only non-clearie boulder I recall "seeing" in original packaging.

Steph~~ That is the thread that I was referring to. Great bunch of helpful posts and congrats on finding it. Those of you that have posted to this thread should take a moment a read it again. It has some very useful info in it and some great pics. Only one pic was removed.

It's just a guess of course but that shooter in the bag looks like a patch not a sunburst. It would be great to see a pic of that alone (or better still in hand) to see how vibrant that red is. I'm curious about that particular MM red and it's comparision to Akro reds.

Now I'm on the spot. If Dani says that I have a purple-based MM than I must have it. However when I moved recently the collection went in large plastic tubs and have never been sorted again. I'll try to find it and will promise to post to this thread (or start a new one) as soon as I can. We can't have all this whining now can we?? :lol:

Thought that rather than not post a pic I would post this piece of MM ephemera from 1933. Not that it has anything to do with the original question, but what the heck......... :D

post-279-1191961855_thumb.jpg

post-279-1191961861_thumb.jpg

John

Thought that rather than not post a pic I would post this piece of MM ephemera from 1933. Not that it has anything to do with the original question, but what the heck......... :D

Thanks John ... I've been waiting for you to choose when to show that card.

If I hadn't known you were the new owner it would have been posted weeks ago! :rolleyes:

Roger, regarding your A to my Q ...

If you saw a marble above an inch which looked like it could be a Master, would the size have the power to make you say, "No, not master, gotta be something else"?

A monetary translation of the question would be something along the lines of, if you found a marble for sale tomorrow which looked totally like a sunburst, but it was 1.2" wide, how much would you pay for it?

If the seller was asking a price consistent with "too rare to value", would you think about paying it? Or would you walk away unless he came down to a, "this is interesting, I don't believe it's a Master, but it's still unusual" price?

Jane, sweet pink! :)

Oh boy, great thread.

Steph, love that Worlds Fair picture (thanks Steve!). I too think that the shooter in the bag is a patch as I have a one inch and a 23/32 with the same colors and they appear to be big Cloudies, that is they have translucent/transparent base glass with patches of color rather than filaments of color.

And the what-if Q, Steph, about a Master possibly larger than one-inch, well, if it looked like a Sunburst but was 1.2 inches I'd probably quickly ask some of the other Master collectors, but would be tempted to believe my eyes since I know of no Sunburst lookalike in that size either. If I wanted it (and I would!) I'd pay what it took. Ahem... you haven't found one have you dear friend?

Jane, love the pink/peach glass. MG did some fun things with colored base glass.

John, did you say a TUB? The PURPLE MASTER in a TUB? Here in the foothills, John, we use plastic tubs for bathing our livestock and we send all the marbles that might otherwise go into them to our friends.

Dani, I would never store marbles in a tub. No.

Roger