Akro Ades, And Some Misconceptions....

zaboo

I received an email concerning an Akro orange ade I had listed that was not fluorescent. In the email the person told me that 1, it was a ringer, and 2, it had to be fluorescent to be an ade.

First, ringers are corkscrews, clear base, with one color and whispy white.

Now, on the other....

2.The ades, start out like a cork, but end in a swirl pattern, usually.

3. You have the ades that corkscrew, which are called ade corks.

4. The ades are the 'production construction' of the marble. ie;

lemonades, limeades, blueberry ades, cherryades,and orangeades.

5. Marbles with the 'ade' construction, blue and eggyolk, the carnelians, and like the blue and white pictured,

are manufactured in the same manner.

6. In my picture, you will see examples of each.

7. Not all the marbles in this picture are fluorescent. But if you look at the construction, they are all made

the same.

8. And then there's the hybrids(not pictured)

In the interest of trying to provide the most accurate information as possible, I gave Roger and Claudia a call this morning to get their thoughts. After a very lengthy conversation with both, they consider the eggyolk and blue, and the carnelians in the ade family. Roger told me that they have ones that are fluorescent, and ones that are not. In one area they dug carnelians and other ades, that were fluorescent, and in another dig, ones that did not. Roger also believes that this could be due to the fact that after WWII, uranium was outlawed to use. (not to say they didnt still use what they had around) And on any given day they could have used whatever glass they had on hand (that wasn't fluorescent).

In the picture, there's a carnelian on a clear base, only one I've ever seen. Also the blue and white one is the only example like it I've ver seen. Which leads me to believe that there could be other color combinations in this style. If anyone has some, would sure like to see some pictures!

BTW, can you pick out the ones that are not fluorescent?

E&D

ades1.jpg

Here we go again with the Name Game .. See what can happen(LOL) You folks are way into the Akros more than I am but I have always been under the belief that it must glow under UV light to be an ADE type. If it does not it is an ace. Such as the blue and yellows. I have read all the base type color descriptions and construction type and have found that just does not work. Too much variety in the base glass and some cork and some swirl. And if these are collecters(players)names everyone is correct. Peace,Galen

dang. i thought that was a basic, marbles 101-level no-brainer, that "ades" by definition are fluorescent.

i know some carnelians don't fluoresce - esp the oxbloods. but a lemonade that doesn't fluoresce is just a lemon swirl (that's how i learned it anyway)

so a cobalt & eggyolk ace is also an ade?

that's it. i quit! :lol:

an ace has to be a corkscrew. there lies the difference.

but we do have carnelian oxbloods that do glow, hard to find~~YES!

I have catalogs showing the ace type if anyones interested in seeing it.

all we're saying here is for identification purposes, it is totally the construction issue.

and we can't argue with what roger (the godfather of Akro) has learned from 40+ years of studying and digging nothing but Akro. Heck he even has all the paperwork on the stuff.

for the casual akro collector, it's a tough study to crasp, understandably. And it's just a whole lot easier to assume all ades are fluorescent rather than being specific. But the truth is, not all do. just like all moss patches dont either.

clear as mud?

dang. i thought that was a basic, marbles 101-level no-brainer, that "ades" by definition are fluorescent.

Yeah, what Tank said.

I myself, would not call these two marbles "Ades".

oxcarn.jpg

oxblue.jpg

Could be wrong though, certainly have been before.

Isn't this a great hobby?

Thanks.

I would love seeing Akro literature showing a marble called an Ace. And I never heard ace types or ringers had to corkscrew. I have ringer types that came together that some swirl and some corkscrew. Just like some Ades. How does the construction determine an Ade when some swirl and some corkscrew. Now I am all cornfused. Peace,Galen can argue with anyone.

I was the one who sent the email about This Auction. To me that is not an Orangeade ( spelled orange ade in the auction ). As you can see by the $2.99 ending price the bidding community seemed to agree. I wasn't trying to start an argument but I thought this auction would confuse newer collectors. Next marble show ask around and get the consensus. I asked the Hardys via email "Are all 'ade' marbles from Akro Agate fluorescent?" and this was their reply "Most of them would we are certain, but we usually do not test marbles to see if they fluorescent."

As a collector of fluorescent marbles for 15+ years I am going to say all 'ade' marbles are fluorescent. By calling them ade marbles you are saying that they contain Uranium and were made prior to the restrictions after WWII. This helps substantiate their maker and the time period they were made. Call them what you will on Ebay... I've seen enough variations on names on there... Most early marble books would agree with my thoughts. I would be willing to review any books that call non fluorescent mables ades.

you're very welcome Jon!

Here's pictures of Akro merchant ordering catalog. Please excuse the reflections as the pages are under plastic. As you can see, aces are corks.

article1.jpg

article2.jpg

and here's the ringer box. sorry I dont have close ups, as we sold the box, but it is the box shown in the books. the marbles are corks. I will look further for documantaion on these... stay tuned Galen. :D

ringer.jpg

and if we really want to get technical here... the usage of 'ade' is a collectors term only. the marble of which we are referring to were boxed and labeled by Akro as 'Moss Agates'. no, the moss agates were not patches until later. So if you collect 'ades' then you would also know this. would a picture on this help?

adn the blue and yellow ones we don't call ades. roger puts them in that catagory. and the blueberry ade was anmed by Alan basinet, and a gift to us.

just to keep the record straight.

In most cases the ones that are fluorescent do command a higher price, and eye appeal has a determining factor as well.

Not to thread-jack or anything, but it must be pointed out that all the marbles in the "Ringer" box have a mossy base. This in my opinion totally shoots down the misconception that Ringer Corks have to have a clear base. This is the second box I have seen where none of the Ringers were clear based. Clear based marbles I feel were just flukes of the production run on any given day. Hence the fact they are harder to find, just like hybrids of any type are.

no, all the ones in that box were clear. totally crystal clear. it's the whispy white reflecting is all. as I said I can't show a better picture as I dont have anymore. That particular box is pictured, in I believe, marble mania if ya want to sneak a peek there.

adn the blue and yellow ones we don't call ades. roger puts them in that catagory.

are you sure? that doesn't seem to fit with the exchange jeff had with the hardys:

I asked the Hardys via email "Are all 'ade' marbles from Akro Agate fluorescent?" and this was their reply "Most of them would we are certain, but we usually do not test marbles to see if they fluorescent."

and if it's about construction, not fluorescence, then why wouldn't you call the blue & yellow ones ades? wouldn't silver oxbloods also be ades by that logic?

could the ringer boxes be referring to the game of Ringer? champion jr bags were referring to the number of marbles in the bags, but people mistakenly call a certain marble style "champion jrs".

.....not trying to be argumentative, just trying to fit everything together with this new information.

I find these type of discussions, not arguments, very interesting. However, they can be quite confusing, to me at least, but confusion is my normal state of mind.

If I am understanding you right, the blue/yellow in your 1st post would be considered an Ade because it's a swirl and this one, becasue it corks, would be considered an Ace (sorry for the bad pics). Correct?

post-64-1162766084_thumb.jpgpost-64-1162766102_thumb.jpgpost-64-1162766137_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

if you look at claudia's reply.. 'most of them certainly do' 'most do' yep.... when one says 'most' doesn't that mean that, naturally some don't?. I can't say how one would take an email, but talking person to person on a phone leaves no doubt. IMHO.

and since claudia doesn't own a blacklight anymore, she couldn't give an accurate number for percentages.

we've never seen a lemonade or limeade that doesn't glow, but the orange ades and some cherryades, and even carnelians, don't. and by construction, yes many of the oxbloods would come into that category.

but they were super-ceded in having their own specific names, ie; eggyolk oxblood, blue oxblood, silver etc.

and as in the 'ades' you have oxbloods and you have oxblood corks.

the whole thing is confusing granted, the point was that some ades do not glow.

also remember that the term 'ade' is a collectors term, not an actual akro name. :blink:

The ont thing being missed here is the fact (other than Dani and Ernie) that Akro never made "ade" marbles. What "collectors" dubbed the ade marble was nothing more than a moss agate that had a corking or swirling pattern. As the ade progressed, it became the norm that the moss agates that started a corking pattern and then shifted to a swirling pattern would remain the "ade" marbles. Saying that the marble is an ade becasue it glows does not make sense to me. Does that mean that every cork that glows is an ade if it is on a translucent base?

Just curious I guess.

DEL

my understanding was that "ade" was a name given by collectors to a group of fruity looking (sometimes swirling, sometimes corking) marbles that fluoresced - i.e. "they were super-ceded in having their own specific names"

lemonade, limeade, cherryade, orangeade, blueberryade - with some tossing in the carnelians (brownades?)

being scientifically minded, my interpretation of the hardy's comment about "certainly most" glow, meaning sorry we haven't tested 100% of them, so we can't speak in absolutes, but generally speaking the answer is yes.

obviously i'm not a mind reader, just saying how i took the comment.

interesting that you would take an email comment over a phone conversation. lol

one other little point to note.

it says it in the paper work, but ace's have a translucent 'moonie' base. that's what makes the difference in a lot of instances of iD.

and gee 'fluorescent', thanks for correcting my spelling. I spelled it that way for a reason, and I dont make up names to list on ebay either, if that's what you were implying.

and I'll ask around at a marble show, good idea. like this week?

off to pack, y'all have a good week. we're outta here.... woohooooooo