Vitro Names?

Steph

Here's my next silly question about something which I'm sure should be easy, but I just don't get.

What's the difference between all-reds and tiger-eyes and yellow jackets? and are there other names for similar-looking marbles. Tri-color? Bull's eye? I don't know. There are so many Vitro names!

Well, I know parts of it of course. The all-reds with red in them ... for example. But do tiger-eyes sometimes look like all-reds and sometimes like yellow-jackets? Or ... and that's where it gets shaky. :unsure:

Do some styles look alike, but the difference is in whether their base is transparent or opaque? Or ...

I don't have the names all figured out yet, but, here's my Vitro board. Had the glass off it for some adjustments, so, shot a picture.

left to right:

column 1-2: all reds and blackline all reds (and no red "new style" all reds)

3: blackies

4-5: assorted oddballs

6: 1980s patches

7-8: patches mostly tiger eyes

9: helmet patches except the odd bottom one

10-11: more assorted oddballs

12: 1990s patches

13: whities

14-16: assorted phantom conquerors and conquerors

17: victory patches

mr00129.jpg

Pretty marbles, Dutch. I didn't know that name.

Jane, very nice set up. The bottom half of column #2 is related to some of my puzzlement. Three years ago when selling marbles like those on eBay I also called them all-reds without red and assumed they were "newer" (whatever "newer" might mean). But lately I think I've been seeing them called Tiger Eyes.

But maybe I'm confusing those with the similarly colored ones in column #6.

Whichever might be the case, I think _some_ of them from column #6 or the bottom half of column #2 might be older. No?

Not arguing exactly ... or not with you ^_^ ... just transcribing the debate being held by some of the voices in my head. ;)

Pretty marbles, Dutch. I didn't know that name.

Not arguing exactly ... or not with you ^_^ ... just transcribing the debate being held by some of the voices in my head. ;)

WOW - you hear them, too?!?!

Those Pastels are from the same time as the Parrots. The name was given by a collector and is catching on. They're about 3/4" and have translucent "brushed" patches on a clear base.

:P

Does the size matter for the Pastel ID?

Galen hasn't written the definitive book on marble ID that I've been pestering him to do for years, so it's really anybody's guess right now.

I've only seen Pastels in this size. IMHO size is not a determining factor.

My humble understanding is that a Tiger Eye needs a top patch of a non-white color, bottom patch of white, and two ribbons (patches) forming a band around the center that is of 1 or 2 colors different than the top patch. 2 different colors make a Tiger Eye Tricolor Patch.

I am sure that I am overlooking some, but here is a list of some Vitro types.

Tri-Lites (includes helmet, Superior, Aquamarine, Buttermilk, Elite)

Du-Lites

Clear Lites

Bulls Eyes

Opals

Conquerors (many varieties)

Victories

Tiger Eyes (four basic types and many varieties, some also known as Parakettes or Tri-colors)

All Reds

Black-line All Reds

Yellow Jackets

Whities

Blackies

Cosmic Rainbos

Wedding Cakes

Beach Balls

Pastels

Parrots

Agua Gems

Cat's eyes

Hybrid Cat's eyes

Part of the reason for my confusion about Tiger Eyes:

post-279-1184084892.jpg

This picture was previously posted by Al but I'm not sure where.

Are some of those just two colors? I mean, white plus one other color?

Would the ones with a different color patch on either end and white in the middle match the ones in either Column #2 or Column #6 of Jane's board?

LOL. That's actually what prompted this thread. I saw the picture and went into a tailspin. When I read the description I saw where Alan said the bag contained all-reds ... so he at least acknowledged that something was weird ... but it was too late. All my sleeping Vitro questions came bubbling up to the surface, and voila! this thread.

Now, you know I will not be able to pass up posting that picture. Should I do it now or later?

Oh heck, here it is.

post-279-1188277812_thumb.jpg

P.s., for the record, Alan dates the bag as late 1950s-early 1960s. It has the seam down the middle on the other side.

The four types were defined by Chuck Brandstetter in the May 2005 issue of the West Virginia Marble Collectors Club Newsletter. Any marble collector who is not a member should join. The newsletters are filled with superb articles on marbles - information that you won't find anywhere else. Back issues have been digitized and we are in the process of making them available on CD. More info to follow on this later.

Here are Chuck's definitions for the four types of Tiger Eyes

Type 1 A clear base with a color patch on top, a white patch on the bottom and a two color (half and half) ribbon in the middle.

Type 2 a clear base glass with a color patch on top, a different color patch on the bottom and a one color (half and half) ribbon in the middle.

Type 3 A clear base glass with a color patch on top, a different color patch on the bottom and a white (half and half) ribbon in the middle.

Type 4 An opaque white base glass with a color patch on top, a different color patch on the bottom and a white (half and half) ribbon in the middle.

Thank you very much.

What is a "half and half" ribbon? I think I get it but I would like to confirm, esp. in the case of the Type 4 Tiger Eye.

When there's a clear base, the half and half ribbon would be brushed on the surface, in two pieces, to form one equatorial ribbon. Correct?

In the Type 4 case, is there an additional white ribbon brushed onto the opaque white base?

Half and half means there's a seam on each side. The ribbon, even when it's the same color, appears to have two halves.

According to the article, the white half and half ribbons were veneered onto white base glass. Chuck et al broke open some of the type 4s to verify.

I agree with the comment that everyone should join the WVMCC. Their newsletters are worth the membership fees alone. I have them all in a ring binder for easy reference. The digitized version on CD is a wonderful idea.

Elizabeth

In the same article by Chuck Brandstetter, he closes by saying, "Other Vitro marble designs such as Blackies, Black Line All Reds, Yellow Jackets, and probably All Reds appear to have been manufactured in the same pattern and construction as Tiger Eyes. (You decide)"

BTW, Chuck wrote a follow up article on Tiger Eyes for the December 2006 issue. In this article, he uses charts and color graphs to illustrrate the frequency counts for the various color combinations in the Tiger Eyes. He came up with 57 different varieties.

Elizabeth