Pelt Rainbo Names

Steph

Yes, Dave, LOL. This go round I'm asking about marketing names. :-)

Carole, funny you should mention Acme Realers.

I've been wondering if that might be one of the tweener marble names. And if maybe the packaging was used for two different kinds of marbles. First patches and then rainbos like you say.

In this 1933 ad, I think the Acme "Real" marbles were patches.

Realers_60.jpg

Yet Block called Realers rainbos, and so does the info and history page at Peltiermarbles.com:

Translucent white base with a pair of colored ribbons encircling the equator are called Acme Realers.

Edit: Marble Alan also said Realers were rainbos, but a different type: "Rainbos with a translucent colored base are called Acme Realers."

I know I've seen a pic of a Realers box with patches. But I'm pretty sure I've also seen one with Rainbos.

Maybe later in the 1930's or in the 1940's Peltier said something like, "We have the boxes and we like the name so why should we mark it out? Just decide which of our new style Rainbos matches the old name best and they'll be our new Realers."

I'll see if I can find that Realers box with the Rainbos in it.

Haven't yet found the realers box with the rainbos in it. Did remember this one tho'. The "Specials" box with what looks like mostly rainbos, and some peerless patches. Interesting in more ways than one. For some reason I thought of peerless patches as coming from a different time period than rainbos. This says there was at least some overlap, unless old stock found its way into the box. Also, I wasn't sure I'd find rainbos in these flat old-looking stock boxes, but here they are.

post-279-1189091689.jpg

Found the realers box with the rainbos in it.

It's a partial box. I don't know who first posted it, or where, or what was said about it. Like whether it was an original stock remnant or was more likely to be backfilled or what.

8a2d.jpg

That's the other box I've seen.

The one which, together with statements I've heard from at least four sources about realers being rainbos, makes me wonder if realer was a cross-over name, introduced for certain cloudy-based patches during the time of the NLR and then used for other marbles during the rainbo era. At least until they ran out of pre-printed Acme Realer boxes.

Quick note, found a litte more info:

Chris said here, Iding Acme Realers From Pictures, that Gino Biffany "originally - and mistakenly - believed that Acme Realers were opalescent baseballs. he later found out that they are actually opalescent peerless patches."

Does that explain why so many people, including Block and Marble Alan, thought realers were rainbos? And what about that partial box of rainbos? I think it would be interesting to know why Biffany first believed they were rainbos. Is there any chance it is because rainbos were also sold under the realer name?

Well, I don't expect an answer about the possible cross-over nature of the realers, not right away. I'm ready to put it on the back burner.

About any other rainbo types ... Dave, did you happen to find anything out about any other rainbo marketing names? (I know you're busy. No rush. Just asking while I'm thinking about it. :-)

Steph, It appears you have things a bit mixed up. First off the first box are National Line marbles Not Rainbos. So yes there are transparent based National Line Marbles

Realers are another type of Natinal Line marbles Not Rainbos

Rainbos are Rainbos, A Later marble with no National or National Line involvement.

There are National Line marbles that were marketed as Rainbos. They are most all the named types. Not the newer, Just Rainbos.

The info from Block about Realers is wrong. Realers are the National Line marbles shown in Als box pic..

Bloodies are the only Peltier name for non National line marbles I can think of. And they are not rainbos they are bloodies. There may be some boxes marked sunsets but I do not recall

And some older packaging was used with Just Rainbo rainbos which has added to the confusion. Hope this helps. Peace,Galen

You've surprised me Galen. The specials box looks like it includes sunsets and others which if I posted them separately for ID would be labelled as Rainbos.

I would have guessed you'd have seen the box as good examples of tweeners.

I have never seen any of the marble types in the Specials box in a bag of Just Rainbos. But searching for absolutes in the marble world is not something I would like to attempt. Probably why tweeners is the only name I like(LOL). And it means nothing in reality. And you are right, most would call them Just rainbos but are they? In reality most of the marbles sold by peltier were Rainbos. The older ones were just called National Line which was a name dropped at some time by Peltier. Best seen in the small boxes that are very similar when they dropped the National Line name. I would bet there are similar marbles in boxes marked National Line and those with out. I will let the name game players figure it all out. Peace,Galen

Part of my present quest is to get an idea of the pelt timeline in a world without absolutes. from a time when there were a whole lot more important things going on than marbles. the depression. the war.

If tweeners are at home in national boxes ... seems like a good clue in a fun but not all-important game.

:)

Here are two additional names

"Cherise Agates" This name was used by the company for a red slag marble. Cherise is French for cherry. The agates are cherry red with feathered white swirled in. These seem to be very rare, and older.

"Champion Jr." This is a case of a confused identification. I do not know where the confusion began, but the marble that Block shows is not correct. This name refers to the quantity of marbles in a marble bag. Champion Jr. -25 marbles. There must have been a Champion bag with 50 or 100 marbles. A bag of cats-eyes surfaced a few years ago with the Champion Jr. logo attached. This bag had never been opened.

Ed

I have not seen any Peltier 'Champion' bags that have more than 40 marbles. There are some drawstring Peltier bags that have cat's-eyes that have more and some of the 'printed on' bags that have 60 opaques (probably to compete with Chinese Checkers game marble makers).

Hey........another data point for this thread.......I picked up three "Champion 60" mesh bags a few years ago at a local estate sale. I have not actually counted them but I figured they each had 60 mibs (59 nominal 5/8" mibs with 1 shooter). They are definitely pelt rainbos.

Bill