Backfilling A Box

moremarbles4me

The box Plan B shows is Bill Tow's - he posted a pic back in Nov 2007 - probably filled the box himself since he likes blue/greens. Here's two other box pics that I've gotten somewhere - one with MKs and one with Pelts so ....? (Note: I edited my post since I originally typed in Akros instead of MK's - sorry and thanks Steph)

post-60-1230233858_thumb.jpg

post-60-1230233874_thumb.jpg

Sellers Peltier was part owner of Marble King, and Pink had jobbered his marbles for years. Berry Pink simply changed the name on his "Champion Marbles" boxes to "Marble King", but probably continued to use Peltier marbles for some time. Remember, even the early Marble King mesh bags had Peltier Raibos.

I have no idea if it's Christmas-related, but the more-than-normal number of 'historical' posts have all been really interesting!

In this case does Bill Tow's appreciation for blue and greens mean that the marbles aren't necessarily appropriate for the box, or just that of all the potentially correct marbles he could have chosen these are the ones he liked? Thanks, Bob

I have no idea if it's Christmas-related, but the more-than-normal number of 'historical' posts have all been really interesting!

In this case does Bill Tow's appreciation for blue and greens mean that the marbles aren't necessarily appropriate for the box, or just that of all the potentially correct marbles he could have chosen these are the ones he liked? Thanks, Bob

Yes, that's right. what you said>

marblemiser

Here's two other box pics that I've gotten somewhere - one with Akros and one with Pelts so ....?

Al, it messed with my head for those to be Akros. Then I opened the thumbnail and realized they were MKs and felt better. icon4.gif

A couple more boxes, one with Pelts and one with MKs. The 2nd box was sold by Morphy, who described the set as "Marble King Marbles with Original Box & Bag" but how could Morphy know they were original? and why are there so many marbles in the box?!

BerryPink_nickybox_50pct.jpgBerryPink_Morphy2008_65pct.jpg

(box #1 posted by nickybox)

My guess is that more of those boxes originally came with Pelts than with MK patch and ribbon style rainbows.

Further I think it's possible that none were marketed with MK rainbows in them.

Berry Pink was pushing "Marble King marbles" long before there was a Marble King company.

There is a photo of him in Issue #13 (Nov. 2005) of the WVMCC newsletter. It's from about 1940, taken in conjunction with the 1939-1940 New York World's Fair. He is standing with Jack Dempsey and Jim Braddock at a table full of Marble King mesh bags. The caption to the photo twice calls them "MARBLE KING marbles". Once when it talks about promotional materials which will come with packages of MARBLE KING marbles. And once when it says the two fighters are endorsing MARBLE KING marbles. (The caps were in the caption to the photo -- I'm not yelling. icon1.gif)

The 1954 catalog sheet shown on p. 105 of AMMM seems to be saying that the "Marble King" line goes back to 1929. It says "Featured for the past 25 years by leading jobbers." I don't necessarily believe there was Marble King labelling in 1929 but the Sunshine Rippled Wheat bags with this header seem to go back to the 30's.

Sunshine_Header1_marblealan_50pct.jpg

(marblealan)

And then note that the 1954 ad shows Alley swirls in poly bags, and the only box shown is a Big Value Marble Assortment. with swirls. There's a Marble King "boy" on the ad but he's very cartoonish. Different from the boy we see on the boxes in this thread. Sourlis elsewhere shows a similar ad from 1953. Again, with Alley swirls in plastic bags.

Finally, Rainbows started being made in 1956 or 57. And though the tournament bags from that time frame have a crouching marble player on them, he is wearing different clothes from the boy on these boxes.

BerryPink_Joeager.jpgpost-60-1228933611.jpg

(sources: boxes, bag)

My guess is that the box is from the 1940's, even the "Marble King marbles" version of it. And I'm not sure I'd buy leftover versions of it being used for Rainbows when by 1956 Berry Pink was obviously in the mood to update the boy's image.

I suspect that any with Rainbows have been backfilled by people who for obvious reasons thought Marble Kings belonged in them.

Here are 2 boxes that I have. They have mostly Pelt tracers & a couple Bloodie's.

I plan on using the Tracers & finishing out the box with all colors ( Tracers.

The other box I would like to use Blue Bees & Blue & Red Galaxys.

If anyone has 5 Red Galaxy's, 4 blue Galaxys, 3 Blue Bees.

And a Partridge in a Pear tree.

Send them to me & I will glady send you a PIC of the box.

JUST KIDDING!!!

marblemiser

post-71-1230338583_thumb.jpg

post-71-1230338625_thumb.jpg

post-71-1230338735_thumb.jpg

i dont sense your amazement here? id bet berry and sellers were business partners and sellers maybe thought that berry was a marketing genius....he just said you gotta put my name on the box.....course i haint talked to em...maybe you could ask roger howdyshell next time you talk to him...lololol.....but seriously...remember these were toys meant for kids....times were much different than these times......they sold and marketed marbles in many ways....the cereal premiums the bank giveaways etc....there were tons of marbles out there.....