Which Marble Books Have You Used Recently?

Here's a different take on the "which books do you recommend" question?

Which books have you actually used recently? Mentally using it is okay too ... like if you were conscious that you were using info from a book but didn't actually have to go to the shelf to verify it.

The only ones I've used recently are the 3 Jabo books by Sturtz. I'd like a new contemporary hand made book. The new artists are not included in any of my older books. My answer was not exactly correct. I've been looking up info on Alley Agate in the AMMM book and I've also looked through the vitro book recently. I haven't bought any marbles other than contemporary hand mades in a long time and just recently started adding to my Vitro Agate and Alley Agate collection. Edna

Couldn't begin to enumerate! At least a doz. different ones in the past week alone and totally aside from the compilation for the Marble Bibliography which I posted. It always cracks me up when I hear of a non marble person who has picked up one marble book(for example.....Grist) so as to figure out what they have. And I've gone through half a doz. within the past 24 hours to figure out one marble! David Chamberlain

Cool. Wider response than I guessed. Doing the marble history stuff, I consult my books a lot. Here's what I've used in the last week or two for history or IDs.

AMMM, and Grist's Big Book of Marbles, the 3rd edition because it has WV swirls

Baumann's Collecting Antique Marbles

the Hardy's Akro book

Jabo: a Classic

Bob Block's ID and price guide, because I was looking up what he said about Rootbeer Floats (which was incorrect), and then Type III NLR's

Gartley and Carskadden's Colonial Period and 19th-Century Children's Toy Marbles, for the machine ground stone mibs from the 1800's and early 1900's

The Vitro book and the MFC book.

And my WVMCC newsletters.

The only marble book I have is Grist's Big Book of Marbles, 3rd edition, which was an unexpected Christmas present. I'm still only on page 63. I've never read any other marble books since I've been collecting.